Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on Tall Fescue

Posted by DandyLioness CA 9, SZ 14 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 4:21

So my lawn is covered in rust, and although I've done a search, I'm not sure how to address the issue.

My current care practices include watering 1" whenever the lawn seems to need a good watering (I tend to underwater more than overwater). I set the sprinklers to run around 6 am so that they are off by 9 am--trying not to water at night but also want to be done before it heats up. I mow 1-2x a week. In February I started to add alfalfa pellets on the first of every month.

We've had crazy weather, some extremely hot days, then rain, then wind, hot again...all over the place. And the lawn has been drying out in places more quickly but I'm so afraid to overwater that I may be under watering. Not sure how to gauge how often to deep water.

So back to the rust...what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on Tall Fescue

Rust is normally not fatal but can be a contributor to the demise of already stressed turf. The best defense against damage is a healthy lawn. The cure is to get the turf to outgrow it. Apply a fast release nitrogen. Milorganite is a good organic source of WSN. Bagging clippings and washing the mower deck after mowing can help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here