Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

How to get rid of moss under large oak tree?

kentstar
13 years ago

I have a large oak tree in my front yard that has lots of moss under it. The moss travels to some of my lawn. How do I get rid of it? I can't till in compost or anything because the roots are large and strong. Anything organic that I can apply to the lawn where the moss is to kill it?

Comment (1)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

That moss is more than likely growing there because of a soil problem, most likely low organic matter levels in the soil, as well as low sunlight that all grasses need to grow. Start working on eliminating the moss be getting a good, reliable soil test done. Ialk with the people at your counties Ohio State University Cooperative Extension Service about having that done and also dig in with these simple soil tests.
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

1. Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.

The results of these tests can guide you in making corrections to the soil so other types of plants have a better chance of growing there.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU CES

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner