Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regaldozer

Lawn Looks good BUT..........(pics inside)

regaldozer
16 years ago

I think the lawn is looking pretty good...

I applied CGM as soon as I saw the first forsythia start to bloom (Aptil 7th). Then of course we got the Mother of all Northeasters (April 15th). I did not have a chance to re-apply.

So Please look at the pictures below and tell me if the crabgrass has already begun. (had it kinda bad in this same spot last year)

what is it and what can I do about it?

thanks

Steve

Comments (11)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

To my eye, it looks like Poa trivialis (roughstem bluegrass), but I'm having such a problem with it this year that my boss is starting to look like roughstem bluegrass.

If that guess is seconded...pull it now or suffer the consequences. In my case that's five hundred square feet of the stuff taking over a section of my back yard.

16 years ago

I forgot to mention--that lawn does not look good. It looks incredible. You're doing a fantastic job and I wish I had that much color consistency!

• regaldozer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok any seconds on the roughstem bluegrass?
    Morph - thanks for the compliment. If it is that stuff, what do I do? pull each clump by hand? use the weed hound? get out the chemicals? (NO NO NO NO NO NO NO)
    THANKS

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

That's some nice looking turf! There really isn't any selective herbicide that works on POA anyway. Other than mechanical removal your only option is to use something like roundup to kill the poa and then to re-seed the dead area.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

I've got a grassy weed that appears to look similar to that. It tends to rear it's ugly head in spring when my bermuda is still coming out of dormancy. I use the weedhound on it. Sometimes for the larger ones I need to hit it 2 or 3 times with the weedhound to get it all out, but it does work. The weedhound (or just pulling by hand) is the only method I use for post emergent weed control (along with, of course, good cultural practices.)

Good day, Dan

16 years ago

With an area as large as I have, I rake it very, very hard daily. That's taken nice, bright green triv and turned it into dying grasses (the bluegrass I actually planted doesn't seem to mind the abuse...and grows in where the other starts to die). It helps that we have had no rain this week. :-) The only grass that makes me happy when it looks "craptastic" (thanks to whoever coined that word) is Poa trivialis.

And I spray with (NO NO NO) chemicals because I simply can't control this any other way (2,4-D slows it down and, after raking, doesn't allow it to re-establish very well).

For teeny areas like you have I'd Weed Hound it, or pull by hand, or use a teeny shovel and replace it with donor grass from the edging we all have to do anyway and that I took the afternoon off to do and am currently avoiding because the weather is way too nice to do that with the day.

• subywu
    16 years ago

Yeah, looks like poa trivialis but I'm not sure that it is--I usually see it in bigger patches with more finer stolonic leaves around the thick ones. From the wide angle pics, it looks like some stemmy grasses pop up randomly here and there instead of patches. Are the pics taken near dusk or do you have a lot of shade? Poa trivialis does exceptionally well in shady conditions and also moist conditions--it does exceptionally well in the spring. Raking does a good job to disrupt the stolonic spread but the mature stalks that remain need to be yanked by hand. I used a gardeners rake (rigid tines) and it does a good job without damaging my KBG.

A good thick lawn will also help to compete with the poa but I'm afraid to say that your lawn is not very dense looking to me.

• regaldozer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pictures were taken early morning. area gets a solid 8 hrs of sun. This area with the POA was started from scratch last spring after the house renovations. Then it got whooped by crabgrass last summer. I shredded it all and re-seeded in the fall. so this is it's first spring. I plan on spreading alf or soy sometime this month. I will also overseed the area in the fall. So I hope it will thicken. I'll try removing this stuff by hand or tool. If it doesnt work, I may round it up (dont want to) but i will def aerate and overseed in the fall.
    And I thought I only had to worry about crab and dandi....

• subywu
    16 years ago

Hey, that's pretty good for a fall seeded lawn. Just keep feeding it grains more than you would normally because new lawns need more inputs. I hear you about the worries...seems like there is always something.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Where did you get the seed? That just might explain things.
    If the pics were taken so early a.m., are there any lighter versions?

• rdak
    16 years ago

Aerate the patchy areas and put composted cow manure on those dead spots.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!