Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me figure out how much compost or peat moss

Posted by bestlawn 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 6:51

I don't know how to reduce or convert a cubic yard, so please tell me how many 3.5 cubic feet bales of compost or peat moss will cover 4000 square feet.

Thanx so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me figure out how much compost or peat moss

To get from cubic feet from cubic yards divide by 9 so 3.5 cubic feet is about .39 cubic yards. How much that will cover I don't know

o

I'm sorry the conversion I gave you was from sqft to sqyd. To go from cubic ft to cubic yards divide by 27 so 3.5 cubic ft is about .13 cubic yards.

o

I think 24 bales will give you a 1/4 inch covering over 4000 square feet.

o

There are on-line calculators for dirt, gravel, sand etc. Assuming that dirt and peat are the closest in density.

Using an on-line "planting fill dirt calculator" I found that...to cover 4000 sqft .25 inches deep you need 3.34 cubic yards of material. So...

3.34 cubic yards is 90.18 cubic feet of material (3.34 X 27)

If your bales of peat moss are 3.5 cuft then you will need to buy 26 bales. (90.18 / 3.5 = 25.76)

If you want to cover it .50 inches deep you will need twice as much, conversely if you want to cover it .125 inches you will need only half as much.

However...

It could be that you would need less material as I believe that the weight/density of peat is less that fill dirt.

Are you going to mix the peat 50/50 with sand as top dressing? Or just use the peat with out the sand?

o

Yes, coverage at 1/4 inch. 24 to 26 bales sounds like my average response. Thanx so much for your help.

I'm advising her to use compost or peat moss as a topdressing but w/o sand.

o

Is there any way for her to buy in bulk? It might be a lot less expensive (even delivered) that way.

o

Thanx so much for reminding me, BP. I forgot I had a load delivered before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here