Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_charleston

is there any hope??? St augustine

alison_charleston
16 years ago

Hi,

I sodded my lawn 2 years ago with St Augustine. I have never put any sort of chemical on my lawn.. this is my first home and I am a bit clueless about lawn care.

Well my St augustine is very patchy, but green in the patches. I want to help it along but want to be organic.

There are 2 giant Live oaks in this yard as well.. do i give up and plant ground cover??

I have been watering but once a week for about an hour.

any help comments would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Comments (7)

• alison_charleston
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have some pictures but unsure as how to post them...

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Ok, I have a couple questions for you.

1. What variety of S.A. do you have?
    2. Have you put down any fertilizers?
    3. Does the turf receive any sun through the oaks?
    4. Are you sure you are putting down enough of water?

I also have St.Augustine and a Huge Live Oak that covers half my lawn. I know S.A. is recommended for full sun, but in my opinion and in my back yard it does best under the oak with filtered sun throughout the day. It's not as dense as the half in full sun, but its greener and healthier.

Oak trees take up or steel a lot of water for the upper portion of soil. Im not sure what the watering recommendations are for your area/soil type but you should research it and find out. You can then do a simple test (see link below) to figure out if you are applying enough water.

You should also check out the Organic Lawn Care FAQ

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Calibrate Your Sprinkler System

• dao4686
    16 years ago

I am a recovering Nitro-phos addict, with a St. Augustine lawn that died in the front from take-all-root-rot. Last September I started organics and the improvement is almost miraculous.

In Feb. I put down corn gluten meal. In April I put down green sand, and in May I put down lava sand, and ladybug fertilizer. Most folks around here stay away from commercial organic fertilizer, but I plan on alternating between grains and bagged organics. I figure it can't hurt and you might give your lawn some trace elements and minerals that grains don't have.

St. Augustine definitely needs lots of sun, and if you have gigantic live oaks that shade your lawn, you will have problems. I would suggest ground cover around a good portion of the trees. You can also thin out the branches a bit to allow more sunlight to filter through.

Good luck,

David

• alison_charleston
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I dont have a clue what kind it is, it was just some sod I bought from Lowes...

I have never put anything on it as far as fertilizers go...
    I does get a fair amount of filtered sun..

I live in Charleston SC so the soil is very sandy..there used to be about a foot thick layer of oak leaves in the backyard and I have removed most of them, there are tons of worms and birds and frogs..so i dont want to kill any of the wildlife in the yard, my main reason for organic. plus I dont like the thought of all that fertilizer in the ocean living so close to the coast.

the grass isn't right up next to the trees, I have pinestraw beds around them.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

I should have said "have you fed the lawn. When I say fertilize, Im not talking about synthetics, I'm referring to protein (Grain) Fertilizers or Organics. With an organic program, nothing goes to waste and nothing is washed away.

Protein fertilizers include Soy Bean meal, alfalfa Meal or pellets, ground corn, cottonseed, corn gluten meal and other grains, as well as blood meal and feather meal. Any ground seed or bean is good as an organic fertilizer including used coffee grounds.

I would start by putting down Soybean Meal to give your lawn some needed FOOD. (Rule of thumb is 10-20lbs per 1000sqft.) and Mulch Mow at the Highest setting.

You are defiantly in the right place. I have received a ton of knowledge and tips from everyone on this forum.

Take some time and read the Organic Lawn FAQ's it will answer a lot of your questions and concerns. Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ's

• alison_charleston
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great Thanks!!!

yes, the lawn has been somewhat neglected...other than getting some nitrogen from the new lab puppy :) no other additional things added...

the yard is tiny so that helps!

I will try the soybean meal...i dont think it can get any worse!

• alabama_lowlife
    16 years ago

depending on the variety, there are several varieties of st augustine that are well suited for shade. in fact, st augustine in general is known for its shade tolerance.

Sponsored