Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horse manure compost

Posted by sandy65 zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 8:43

We have 3 large horses and have started making compost from their manure, urine and pelleted bedding.
The compost is wonderful, smells earthy and feels good.
I used it for the first time this spring on my beds and have had the largest most prolific blooming peonies ever. The hostas with them are huge. We have had no weeds so I am sure it is well cured.
We have a large amount about every three to four weeks.
Does anyone think there is a market for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse manure compost

Our local composting giant bases his entire operation on the adjacent horse racing track. So YES, there is! He adds other materials from places that would otherwise have to pay fines to dump their materials down the drain. Places like dairies, breweries, and soft drink bottlers are not allowed to dump into our sewer system because the content and quantity of their waste kills the specialized sewage treatment microbes at the sewage processing plant. The sewage dumping fine is $1,000 per day (retroactive), so those places pay the composting company significantly less to allow them do dump their truckloads of waste on the compost piles. This is something to keep in mind as your composting operation grows. Other sources for horse manure are your local veterinarians. I have an e-friend in Alabama who started a composting business on dung collected entirely from veterinarian businesses. Search the web for CaptainCompostAL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here