Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baking Soda on Lawn

Posted by icutup Fl 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 9:42

After reading previous posts, I still have a question: Does baking soda hurt the soil permanently or just temporarily? Will it help to apply a thin layer of compost after killing the dollar weed in the St Augustine lawn? What is the next step after that? A good organic fertilizer? Suggestions? I am killing the dollar weed in sections. I tried to pull it, but it is tightly woven into the grass and it is spreading everywhere.
Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baking Soda on Lawn

I have not tested putting pure baking soda in soil. I have mixed it with water to kill fungi and it does work. Also, I was told that BS are non-targeted meaning it will kill anything. So yeah, you might want to restore the good organisms you have killed by putting compost. Some people use ACT and have had good results.

o

Hello all.

I had a few small patches of Crabgrass trying to invade my Bermuda grass.
I keep my Bermuda grass height at 1 inch.
On the evening of June 5th, 2007 I followed the "dusting with baking soda procedure" posted by dchall san antonio.
The Crabgrass was eliminated by noon June 7th 2007.
No damage to my Bermuda grass.

The Crabgrass is gone.

Thanks everyone.

Good day.

o

• Posted by estreya SouthWest Washington (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 23:59

Hmmm? What's this about baking soda killing crabgrass? I was unable to find the "dusting with baking soda procedure" thread, but i have horrible problems with crabgrass. Do tell! Do tell!

o

Hello estreya.

Here is a Garden Web link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web Crabgrass control topic.

o

• Posted by estreya Southwest Washington (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 11:04

Thank you so much, rollerzeke! I think i'll try it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here