Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Kow as compost?

Posted by GardenAl none (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 10:16

We're trying to start organic lawn care. Is Black Kow compost okay to use as a starter? I bought that along with some alfalfa pellets to lay down on our yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Kow as compost?

I experimented last year with black cow and alfalfa on the front and side of my yard. I ripped out the old lawn in those areas and put down black cow, mixed in a lot of alfalfa pellets and then put down the sod. Both areas are very dark green and almost weed free this year. In other areas I spread out black cow and watered it into the lawn. Then applied alfalfa too. Those areas look nice too. I used CGM in March and had no problems with crab grass this year.
Alfalfa and black cow seem to work well so give it a shot.

o
RE: Black Kow as compost?

Black Kow is composted cow manure, not much vegetative waste is added when it is piled up. This also comes from very large dairy operations, most likely not our vision of the bucoluc farms of the 1950's but rather the Confined Animal Feeding Operations types of factories of today.
If you don't mind adding material that could well have relatively large amounts of antibiotics it may be some help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here