Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CGM is not the culprit

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5, Northern IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 10:36

Ok folks, it's just today that I paid attention to the empty area beside my property. If you saw on my other thread, I've posted a picture of what they think it's a foxtail or quackgrass. I went closely to the empty lot to look at the grass that are growing. BEHOLD! Those grass or weeds that I'm seeing are exactly the same foreign grass that's popping up in my lawn. I pulled one large grass and I will be bringing it to my local extension sometime this week or next week. Below are the pictures.

And this one is the powdery mildew I was talking about. Guess what? Even in the sunny areas where I have dense turf, I have them specifically the bottom part of each blade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CGM is not the culprit

Not quackgrass and not foxtails either.
Tall fescue? Glad you're taking for ID.

Did you apply the corn meal yet?

o

I'd either keep those neighboring weeds mowed down or consider applying some roundup. The seeds will blow into your yard and create constant headaches. I don't think anyone would care.

o

I'm thinking of putting gasoline, hahaha.

I'm sorry, since I'm new to lawn care, but what is a roundup?

o

Below is a picture of mature Yellow Foxtail. It's easy to ID at the mature stage because it has "foxtails" (the fuzzy ends of the stalks).

-Deerslayer

o

Roundup is a nonselective chemical herbicide. You can buy it at box stores and garden centers.

BTW, I failed to mention that Foxtail is not mature in Northern Illinois at this time of year. In other words, it doesn't have its "foxtails" yet.

-Deerslayer

o

Roundup is a non-selective herbicide. It breaks down pretty quickly in the soil, so its not as nasty as some others. However, it will also kill your turfgrass because it is non-selective - you have to be careful when using it.

It's post-emergent only, so you need to shoot the new weeds as the sprout.

o

One more thing since you're new. The foxtails contain the seed. A good general rule is to destroy all aliens before they go to seed!

I also want to mention that making the connection between the large, grassy weeds bordering your yard and the young plants in your lawn exhibited logical thinking on your part. That and some basic lawn care knowledge is all you need for a fantastic lawn.

-Deerslayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here