Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garett_gw

just tried Scotts Organic

garett
15 years ago

i put some scotts organic down yesterday, and i gotta tell you, that stuff really smells terrible. i mean it is stank. SBM smells soooo much better.

time will tell on the results of course. i think i am going to keep using SBM though. the bag for the scotts says that grass should be greener within a week. i am thinking about using it for my first application each year to give it a "boost", because of the bloodmeal.

thoughts?

Comments (11)

• anubis_pa
    15 years ago

I put it down a couple weeks ago and never noticed a difference in green, I think the rain we've been getting may have something to do with it though. I agree about the smell. Late that night there was a stray dog sniffing around most of my lawn, trying to pick up a trail I guess.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Just the name smells bad to me. Out of curiosity, was it an organic decay type of sour smell or was it more of a chemical smell?

anubis_pa, organic fertilizer usually takes three full weeks to show the green. If it has not been 21 days yet, don't fret.

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

My guess is the blood meal in the product. Blood meal by itself has a strong fishy smell. Im sure its fine and the smell will go away soon.

• garett
    Original Author
    15 years ago

it kinda smells like dog food to me.

• decklap
    15 years ago

The only difference between Scotts and Restore is the "meat meal" in Scotts but they both smell exactly the same to me. Its a subjective thing obviously. I know people who cannot stand the smell of Milorganite but it doesn't bother me at all. On the other hand I think grain pellets stink to the high heavens if they get too wet.

• buzzsaw8
    15 years ago

I think it's the "recycled poultry litter" aka chicken s*** that causes the odor. Great product though - bought a bag last fall and made three applications to my lawn since then. Lawn is lush and deep green.

• grayentropy
    15 years ago

It amazes me that Scott can recycle poultry slaughter waste for fertilizer at about $20/3000 ft^2. With that said, it is all good!!!

I guess it does take money to make money.

I have a huge supply of horse manure within a mile of my house. I guess I'm rich too!!!!

• anubis_pa
    15 years ago

The best way I can describe the smell is as something that seems tasty to scavengers. It wasn't too strong really and there was no smell the next morning after a light rain. For comparison I think alfalfa pellets smell like a clean barn (odd since I have no experience with barns) and soybean meal reminds me of stale beer.

• m1shmosh
    15 years ago

Scotts is mainly feather meal, not chicken litter.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Pretty much all the commercial organic fertilizers smell funky to a degree. Straight up corn meal, alfalfa, soybean meal, etc never smelled funky at least for me.

• rdak
    15 years ago

What you guys talking about. Organic fertilizers and poop smell GOOD!! LOL!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County