Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fescue_planter

Idea...Revolutionary?

fescue_planter
15 years ago

Thought of this while I was brushing my teeth- I have some areas at the north side of my house that are generally in the shade that have a history of powdery mildew. I'm in the habit of putting on cracked corn every so often to build up some good fungus (only applied it twice so far). So I was in the area of bird seeds and such at a nearby box store and saw a 4lb bag of cracked corn that I thought would be good just to toss on there until my next real feeding next month. Not a very big bag so I thought I'll wait until this next weekend to put it on and while I'm waiting I'll take a scoop of compost (and a tiny bit of water) and throw it in the bag and mix it up to maybe get me some beneficial fungal development on the kernels before I apply it. Maybe it will deter the birds from wanting to scoop it up before it really decays.

So ultimately my train of thought here would be why not do this to every application? Next time I get 3 bags of soybeans why not split a bag of nursery compost amongst them and have it also act as a means of diversifying my soil web? The grains I provide the soil then will already have a head start of some fungal development and a lot of the other microbial life that is in the compost. Or am I nuts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm