Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idea...Revolutionary?

Posted by fescue_planter NE (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 10:38

Thought of this while I was brushing my teeth- I have some areas at the north side of my house that are generally in the shade that have a history of powdery mildew. I'm in the habit of putting on cracked corn every so often to build up some good fungus (only applied it twice so far). So I was in the area of bird seeds and such at a nearby box store and saw a 4lb bag of cracked corn that I thought would be good just to toss on there until my next real feeding next month. Not a very big bag so I thought I'll wait until this next weekend to put it on and while I'm waiting I'll take a scoop of compost (and a tiny bit of water) and throw it in the bag and mix it up to maybe get me some beneficial fungal development on the kernels before I apply it. Maybe it will deter the birds from wanting to scoop it up before it really decays.

So ultimately my train of thought here would be why not do this to every application? Next time I get 3 bags of soybeans why not split a bag of nursery compost amongst them and have it also act as a means of diversifying my soil web? The grains I provide the soil then will already have a head start of some fungal development and a lot of the other microbial life that is in the compost. Or am I nuts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idea...Revolutionary?

Yea you're nuts, a lawn nut. (grin) That sounds like a good idea. I think I will add some screened compost to my next cracked corn application in my back yard that doesnt get much compost spread on it. Feed and microbe application at the same time sounds like great idea.
Bill Hill

o

I use the $1.50 a bag manure compost from the box store. 2 bags per 50 pound grain @ 10#/1000. Not a huge volume at once but will add up over time.

o

I think I didn't get my real point across on this now as I look at it. I'm not talking about just mixing in the compost with the grains, I'm talking about doing it a week or so in advance so that you start to create a buildup of microbial life on the surface of the grains you are providing. What better place to do so than on the food source itself? For this reason I don't think it would take a lot of compost since it is generally finer than the grains you put down, I would think an unconcentrated homogeneous blend is good enough and that after a week the application of the grain itself would be almost like applying the compost. For the record, yes I am nuts.

o

As most moments of inspiration, the problems start arising when it is time to apply a little perspiration.

If I'm following you right, that should help on a number of fronts... but not on the ease of application. If you put compost and what it needs to act on the cracked corn together, waterm in any meaningful quantities, you are soon going to have a decomposing pile of "glomp" that isn't going to spread too well. If you don't add water, you aren't going to get much interaction. Same difference as doing it in separate apps.

Or, you can add it, let them decompose some and then dry them out. Sounds like the process is then getting a little involved. If you are going to do that, just go the whole Monty and mix them together until you have some nice fresh cracked corn compost to spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here