Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leveling a bumpy yard

Posted by doublej WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 10:56

My yard is undergoing a transformation. I have begun an organic routine. It's been 2 months and I can already see a huge difference in the quality of the soil. I used to not be able to push a knife more than 1" into the soil. Now, I can push my finger in that far and a bamboo stake in about 3 inches. The problem I have is that my yard resembles a 4x4 test track. There are divots and small bumps everywhere. My 6 year old has had 2 sprained ankles and I have twisted mine mowing the lawn.

Is there a way to level out this lawn without bringing in yards of topsoil and shoveling it all over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leveling a bumpy yard

You sound like the poster child for people recovering from rototiller preparation of the original turf. This is exactly what happens when you rototill first. The soil settles unevenly into what you have.

If you want to do it yourself, yards of dirt and a shovel are the way. You could bring in yards of topsoil and spoon it in only where the low spots are. If your yard is several thousand square feet that might not be what you want to do.

A preferred way would be to hire a landscaper to bring in a tractor and box blade. They can regrade an acre in an hour if it is pretty close to grade. Your area is probably much smaller. Let him decide if he needs more (or less) topsoil. Then you can reseed immediately when he leaves.

o

No tilling, just inherited a crappy turf.

o

Below is a link to a FAQ that may help. For small areas, you may try top dressing with 1/4 inch contractors sand and raking it into the depressions with a lawn rake. Repeat a few times a year.
Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - How do I level my yard?

o

Anyone familiar with having a bumpy yard and seeing what happens to it say after 10 years or so? I'd like to know if an organic system (earthworms) will move things around enough in 10 years to level things out.

o

Hey!?!? I wrote a FAQ on leveling a lawn? Wow! The things I have forgotten about sometimes startle me.

After reading on the Lawns Forum how a guy did it with his bermuda, I would like to tune up that FAQ. While the steps in that FAQ will probably work fine, I think I would put the fertilizer down below the topsoil. The guy with the bermuda also used a sand, level, roll, water, repeat cycle that I think would improve the FAQ. Keep this in mind when leveling: the top surface of your project will be the new ground level. If it is not perfect flat, or rolling smoothly, keep at it until you're happy.

o

"Anyone familiar with having a bumpy yard and seeing what happens to it say after 10 years or so? I'd like to know if an organic system (earthworms) will move things around enough in 10 years to level things out."

FP - funny you mention that. I started a lawn from scratch two years ago and tilled the soil before laying the sod (hadn't found this site yet). It was REALLY bumpy. But I was just noticing this week as I pulled weeds that it seems to have leveled out a little bit. Earthworms rule!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here