Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcas72

Organic Fertilizer

kcas72
15 years ago

I have read over the years some general things to look for in an organic fertilizer. Wanted to know if people here could verify if they are true. One thing is that the N-P-K numbers added together could not be more than 15. And the Nitrogen number alone could not be more than 11. Anything with numbers higher than these are said to have some synthetics in it. I believe I remember reading somewhere that alot of companies put some organic matter in their fertilizer, and then call it "organic" when in reality it isn't. Is this true? For example, I believe the Scotts organic fertilizer has a 15 N number.

Comments (13)

• garett
    15 years ago

with organics, you apply the amount of fertilizer that you need to. the N-P-K doesnt really matter. you should read the FAQ on this site first.

scotts organic is 11-2-2

• kcas72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response. I just want to make sure you understand my question. Not really wondering if the ratios really matter. My main point is that in the prior research I've done, I read that there isn't ANYTHING out there that has ratios that high that are 100% organic. Meaning, that if you are shopping for organic fertilizer and don't want ANY synthetics in your lawn, and these ratios are higher than 15 in total, or higher than 11 for Nitrogen, then it MUST contain some form of synthetics. Hope this helps.

• fescue_planter
    15 years ago

I think they could get around that '15' number by throwing in high volumetric percentages of organic products like bone meal and blood meal or urea. But there's no way they are doing it all with grains.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Urea, which is arguably an organic fertilizer even though it is made synthetically, has a very high N value. I'm thinking it is up around 40. Any "organic" fertilizer that uses urea might have high N.

I think we understand the question. You don't understand organic fertilizer. We really don't care a bit about NPK. That is the least important information on the bag. In fact the organic fertilizer I've used since 2001 does not even have NPK on the label. Briefly, organic fertilizer is made from food. Food is not normally labeled with NPK because NPK are not relevant elements of food. For food we care about protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. That's what we look for on a label.

Yes there are companies selling their normal synthetic fertilizer with a dash of compost, bagging it in green and brown bags, and calling it "ORGANIC based." Then they say, "You can feel good around your family, pets and the environment and you'll be satisfied with its performance," and put a picture on the bag like this.

{{gwi:1102438}}

• kcas72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks dchall. That's exactly what I mean though. For someone like me, who doesn't know enough, can the N-P-K ration being too high alert me that there must be synthetics in there?

Thanks
    Kevin

• garett
    15 years ago

dchall that was hilarious.

dont most bags list thier ingredients?

Kevin what are you trying to do? are you looking for a good organic fertilizer? a lot of people like to use feeds. a lot of times it can be cheaper, and you know what you are getting.

• kcas72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to know if that statement about the ratio's was true. I already have an organic fertilizer I've used for years. Just curious about something I've heard in the past. That's all. I'll assume no one knows the answer. LOL.

• billhill
    15 years ago

Kcas Both of those statements are not empirically true. As an example seabird guano is said to have NPK numbers of 12-8-2. Feather meal 12-0-0. Fish pellets 7-7-2. That being said, few if anyone uses these products as lawn fertilizer "straight up" So I would say those statements although not technically correct, they may be used as a general guideline when deciding on organic fertilizer purchases. Many of the grains have known protein percentages that seem to be more relevant to organic gardeners and lawn enthusiasts. Products packaged and sold as fertilizers MUST state the NPK values and list the ingredients. Grains sold as grains do not necessarily list ingredients. I buy soy meal and cracked corn in plain re-usable feed sacks. I have seen a table somewhere listing protein and nitrogen release of some grains but donÂt remember where.
    Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawncare FAQ

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the table.

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Hi David,

Since you posted that link to that table, I have to ask (with an impish grin for sure but mostly out of curiousity...): does that mean that you think NPK actually has some relevance even if one feeds organically?

I mean, *I* do, I just can't seem to find any guidance, anywhere, on how to think about that in any way that even approaches the precise.

;-)

Paul

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    15 years ago

put a picture on the bag like this.

Puppies! Flowers! Children!

Yeah, I get a good, cynical laugh out of those things, too. Sometimes I think American manufacturers could sell nuclear waste if they slapped a photo of a kid hugging a retriever puppy on it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Since you posted that link to that table, I have to ask (with an impish grin for sure but mostly out of curiousity...): does that mean that you think NPK actually has some relevance even if one feeds organically?

Not at all. It just means I have an extensive collection of bookmarks. I used to have one that listed protein, carbohydrates, salt and a few other things, but that website is no longer in service. Too bad. I have one that you can extract that data from, but it is not a table, you have to work for it. Besides he mentioned the NPK table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingredients 101

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Thanks David, I hear you.

(and at the same time I am trying very hard to avoid mentioning the nutrients that all plants need, no matter what, and no matter how they are derived...)

Cheers,
    Paul