Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jurgy_gw

Thinning Lawn

jurgy
14 years ago

I going on my 3rd year of organic lawn care but I'm noticing this spring that my grass seems to be thinning out. Last year on organic fertilizers the lawn thrived so I'm not sure what is going on. I've aerated and put down Milorganite (first time) this spring. Should I just overseed to help with the thickness or do I have an underlying issue I need to look at?

Comments (10)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

What kind of grass do you have? Fescues quite often will thin out. They need to be overseeded periodically. Kentucky bluegrass is not expected to thin out. If you have that then you have issues.

Overseeding and aerating are best done in the fall or after the summer heat breaks. If you overseed now, all the weed seeds will sprout in the thin areas, and the new grass roots will die from the summer heat.

• jurgy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is a hybrid fescue lawn. I core areate in the fall and spring due to the high clay levels in my yard. I'm trying to incorporate compost into the yard on a yearly basis to get the microbial activity and worms to start doing that work for me.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

What is the soil like that you are trying to grow this Fescue in? How much organic matter is in that soil? How well does that soil drain? How well does that soil retain moisture? What kind of life do you see in that soil? What does that soi smell like? What is the tilth of that soil like?

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Unless you have one of the creeping fescues, you should over seed every year or two to "densify" the turf. Fescue is a "bunch grass" as opposed to a "sod forming" grass. Every fescue plant stays in place and does not send runners (stolons or rhizomes) out to spread. If you want a dense fescue turf, you have to plant more seed. Kentucky bluegrass is a sod forming type that will spread to fill in where it was not seeded. Many times you'll see a mix of fescue and KBG used to take advantage of the benefits of both grasses. The hard part of that is getting colors and blades to match. Fescues usually remain green all winter but the KBG spreads to keep weeds out.

Are you watering no more than once a week, mulch mowing at your mower's highest setting, and fertilizing several times a year?

• wlai
    14 years ago

I have the same problem, but my lawn is a mix of perennial rye blend. Is that a bunch grass or sod forming grass? My lawn tend to be really soaked over the winter, and you can clearly see where its the waterlogging that is causing the thinning.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Grasses grow best in good, healthy soil well endowed with organic matter that is evenly moist but well drained. If your soil is compacted grass will not grow well in that soil. If your soil is water logged grasses will not grow well in that soil. If you have sand grass will not grow well because that sand will not hold moisture or nutrients well.
    To grow a good healthy stand of grass the soil must be made into a good, healthy soil well endowed with organic matter that is evenly moist but well drained.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

"I have the same problem, but my lawn is a mix of perennial rye blend. Is that a bunch grass or sod forming grass?'

Rye is a bunch grass and needs to be overseeded if you have bare spots. On a positive note, it germinates very quickly, so those spots will not stay bare very long.

• daytond_shaw_ca
    12 years ago

I have Kentucky blue grass, and it is thinning. Any idea why, and how can i resolve this issue?

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

The only reason any grass would "thin" is because the environment it it growing in is not one that encouges growth. That would be the soil as well as the level of soil moisture. Take a good, in depth look at your soil and correct any problems that soil has and the grass will grow back in good and healthy and thick.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

dayton, we're transferring control of this issue to you since it is so old.

How much and how often do you water? (daily, weekly, etc.)
    How high/low are you mowing it?
    How often do you fertilize and with what?
    Is shade a factor in this?