Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time SBM user - Wow

Posted by iahawkz4 z5 IA (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 12:51

I thought I'd post my experience with using SBM for the first time.

Fantastic, unbelievable, looks awesome!

I've been working on my 3 year old, new construction, compacted clay lawn, trying to get a lush lawn.

I went organic last year with alfalfa meal and Milorganite. It looked ok at times but I never had the thick, dark green I wanted.

This spring I put down 20lbs / 1000 ft2 of soybean meal about a month ago and now my lawn is as thick and dark green looking as the best of them.

It looks better than all but a few of the most heavily fertilized, chem lawns.

I found out that SBM can kill the lawn if you spill a bunch. My spreader was in the 'open' position when I refilled it once and it spilled a lot onto the lawn. I scooped up as much as I could but since my grass is tall I couldn't get all of it.

It looks like a spot where dog urine will kill the grass and immediately around the area it is super dark and lush.

The SBM in the spill area became thick, viscous and smells like s***.

Other than the one spill area it looks great. I'm sure our wet and cool spring weather helped, too, but I've never seen my lawn so green.

I'm absolutely sold on using SBM. I'm glad I found this board and learned about using grains.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time SBM user - Wow

congrats....I had the exact same thing happen on my bermuda when filling the spreader...the spot was dead in the spill area.

o

yah i think that what happens if you put too much... its blocking the sun, etc. i think it has the effect of mulch, or having a lot of thatch. and then of course it takes longer to break down. maybe you could try and rake it around if its still piled up there. or rake it and spread it if you spill it in the future.

o

I have a similar issue with an unfortunately large area near my sidewalk from CGM---my spreader tipped over (it's a steep hill there), and I tried to spread the excess CGM around with a rake. I apparently failed, as the grass is completely dead there, and the flies are buzzing.

o

You could have used leaf blower to get the excess out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here