Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

100% Organic St Augustine growing in sand dunes

dchall_san_antonio
15 years ago

Here are some pictures taken from our condo in Port Aransas, TX. They show the 'dog walk' area on the north side of the building. This area has never been fertilized or sprayed with herbicide, ever. The only nurturing it gets is from the dogs of the condo owners and there are not very many. The grass is mowed high and gets rainwater. The gulf is visible in the last picture to show that it is only a few hundred feet away.

{{gwi:1102497}}
The tall grass escaping out into the dunes in the pictures is St Augustine. It is above the knee high on me. My dog disappears out there. You can see in the next picture how the color changes as the grass gets farther away from the organic nutrients. You can't tell from the pictures but the grass is extremely dense.

{{gwi:1102499}}

The condos have been open for over 10 years so you can see how far the St Aug has grown. In this last picture you can see a low spot where the St Aug has stopped growing. That area fills with water and is a marsh. This area is further away from the elevators and does not get as much dog fertilizer as the area in the first two pictures.

{{gwi:1102502}}

Comments (2)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Interesting. Do they happen to have purple-reddish runners? It's a characteristic of Floratam. Their drought tolerant is about as good as bermuda and even better than zoysia when it comes to lack of rain for 2 months.

I came across this study that may be of an interest to you...

Here is a link that might be useful: TURFGRASS VARIETY DEMONSTRATION

• dchall_san_antonio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think it has purple-reddish runners. I think I would have noticed but I'll look again this summer.