Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrpeach_gw

Urea

mrpeach
11 years ago

My organic lawn care service has told me that although not certifiably organic, urea is an acceptable input when looking for a source of nitrogen. (food grade?)

I was worried about the negative impact on soil health but I can't find anything that suggests it would hurt it especially if used sparingly?

Thoughts on food grade urea? It's used in cow silage to promote bacteria.

Comments (9)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

That is feed grade, not food grade. the difference is that feed grade is fed to animals and food grade is fed to people. Usually feed grade materials are not stored under FDA approved conditions. Feed grade corn, for example, is full of bugs and might carry fungi due to being stored outdoors. Food grade corn is stored in FDA approved conditions.

But anyway, urea is not approved for use by OMRI farms because it is synthesized from natural gas rather than from urine. What are you fertilizing that can't be fertilized with soybean meal, alfalfa, or corn?

• mrpeach
    Original Author
    11 years ago

70k square feet, ten lbs per k. $40 per bag or 60 bucks of urea.

It's a cost issue more than stance on natural gas.

Actually, that's not true. It's totally a soil issue and everything I read says urea will actually promote the growth of bacteria and will not cause harm to beneficials.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Urea is a synthetic material and as such is not acceptable for use by any one that wants to be organic.

• mrpeach
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What if I want to be organic but can't afford to buy $ 700 of corn gluten?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

You can be organic without spending $700.00 on anything. People spend a lot of money on products to make their lawns and gardens "weed" free and find that is immpossible because plants self seed and then grow no matter how much poison is laid down.
    Get the soil you have into good condition and provide a good environment for your plants to grow and they will out compete the "weeds" and you won't need to think of the Corn Gluten Meal.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

If your goal is to not poison the lawn or soil, then you can probably allow your lawn care company to use urea. If you want to make the claim that you are 100% organic, you should toss in the caveat that you use synthetic urea. If you were trying to certify your lawn as organic with the government, they would not let you use urea and would put you back 3 years in the chain of events toward the certification.

If you want better advice about using urea, the regular lawn forum is a better place to get it. This one really does try to stay on track with 100% organic discussions. There are some slip-ups but kimmsr is great about catching those before they get too far off the organic theme.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

If a person uses Urea then they cannot make the claim they are organic because Urea is not acceptable to organic gardeners/farmers.

• mrpeach
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm confused. After being made to feeling that I was, I don't know, basically scolded for suggesting that Urea may be acceptable in an organic program by Kimmsr, I just read in another recent post that he is using Milorginite.

There is such confusion with what is an acceptable input and what isn't, that I have depended on this board many times for direction.

One thing I know for sure though is that bio solids are absolutely, positively not an acceptable organic input under any circumstances.

I think that most of us feel that bending the rules occasionally is okay as long as we are honest about it. However, I feel like there is a serious "glass house" metaphor here somewhere and unfortunately for the major contributors on this board....your credibility was just quite literally flushed down the toilet.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Perhaps, mrpeach, you need to read an article writen by someone else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Tukey on organics

Sponsored