Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thundersweet

Need some help getting started please...

thundersweet
14 years ago

We have a 24,000sf bermuda front lawn that we want to treat organically. We have LOTS of weeds currently. It looks worse this year than ever. I have posted before and know a little about what I need to do. I was going today to buy soybean meal. Just wondering if I should use the soybean meal now or if I should use corn gluten meal first for weeds. Or can they be used together??

Thanks,

Sandy Roswell, Ga

Comments (5)

• okcdan
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy,

It can actually take years for the pre-em effects of CGM to take effect... I'd say for this year, go ahead with the soybean meal, & either use a weedhound.... or, if you're not a 100% organic purist, go ahead & use some weed-b-gon to spot treat the weeds this spring -- The soybean meal will really help the bermuda to thrive... then your job is to use the proper cultural practices... mow it low & mow it often -- don't water it unless it's about to go into dormancy & you'll have the weeds on the run!

I don't ever use CGM (it's cost prohibitive for me) & I don't have a big weed problem... but my cultural practices, along with my weedhound keep the weeds at bay.

My 2 cents,

Dan

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Dan! Thanks so much. I have seen pictures of your lawn and it is truly inspiring. Now, I am unclear as to some things in your post. Are you saying NOT to water until dormancy? I am assuming that is not the case. I read somewhere here to water deeply once weekly at about 1 in per week. Is this correct info for bermuda?

Would now be a good time to use the weed be gone? I would love to use all organic but at this point, the yard needs a little kick start. We have to many weeds to use a weedhound. With the size of our lawn, I'd be out there for weeks. We really have a lot of weeds. I almost wish we could just start over with sod. That's way to costly though. My plan is to just start fertilizing and start building the soil and go from there.

After we kill the weeds, there will be lots of bare spots. When do you overseed burmuda?

Thanks,
    Sandy

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Corn Gluten Meal is a pre emergent "weed" control so applying it afyter the weeds are up and growing is not the time to do that. You need about 6 weeks before the "weeds" you want to control with CGM start to germinate to apply it.

• okcdan
    14 years ago

Hi again Sandy!

Now, I am unclear as to some things in your post. Are you saying NOT to water until dormancy? I am assuming that is not the case. I read somewhere here to water deeply once weekly at about 1 in per week. Is this correct info for bermuda?

Well, regarding watering, yes, it's true we always say to water deeply once per week. It really does help the keep the weeds at bay, but the reality is, with bermuda, the roots go very very deep.... we're talking feet, not inches... which is why I suggested waiting so long to water.... what I'm suggesting is to wait until your bermudagrass is really showing all the signs of needing water before you irrigate... the reason is because even when doing that you won't kill off the bermuda, but will really aide in eliminating your weed issues. Even during the hottest part of summer here in OKC with multiple days of 100+ degrees, I never water more often than every 10 to 14 days... and you just can't do that with many other grasses, but your bermudagrass can handle it.

Would now be a good time to use the weed be gone? I would love to use all organic but at this point, the yard needs a little kick start. We have to many weeds to use a weedhound. With the size of our lawn, I'd be out there for weeks. We really have a lot of weeds.

I completely understand & for a lot of folks, taking a "hybrid" approach (mostly organic with some chemicals,) at least during the transition year and for some folks even on an ongoing basis, is common. The time the spot spraying for the weeds will work the best is when they're growing well. So, go ahead & get your soybean meal & apply... give it a couple weeks & you'll see the lawn greening up nicely & the weeds will also be thriving! Then "hit em" & that'll be that! If needed, you can hit em again a week or so later, but it's the cultural practices that'll really keep em at bay.

I almost wish we could just start over with sod. That's way to costly though. My plan is to just start fertilizing and start building the soil and go from there.

That's a good plan.

After we kill the weeds, there will be lots of bare spots. When do you overseed burmuda?

You shouldn't ever have to overseed your bermuda. Bermudagrass spreads agressively with both rhizomes & stolons (under the ground & on top of the ground) and should fill in bare areas pretty easily unless you have a lack of sunlight. Areas that lack 8 hours of daily sunlight will be difficult at best to maintain bermuda. But as long as you have sun, and you follow good cultural practices, it should fill in nicely. If you have large areas that are bare, go to one of the areas that is growing well, & dig out some sprigs & plant em in the bare areas... they'll spread & help to fill in those areas more quickly.

My 2 cents,

Dan

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kimmsr, gotcha! I'll wait on the CGM.

Dan, thanks a bunch.

Sandy

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz