Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twilightzone_gw

How much corn meal to apply

twilightzone
16 years ago

Greetings,

I have approx 3000 sq feet. I applied 50lbs of corn meal today for its anti fungal properties. I think I have brown patch on bermuda. Is it sufficient or I have to apply more. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

TWZ

Comments (11)

• v1rt
    16 years ago

You were 10 lbs below because from what the guys taught me here, it's 20 lbs/1000 sqft. You were somewhere 18-18.5 lbs per 1000 sqft. But I think, you should still be fine.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

From what I read here, bermuda is nearly immune to disease. It will be interesting to see how your lawn responds to the corn meal.

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

I've applied 10lbs per 1000 ft^2 on March 31 and 10 lbs per K on May 1. While applying I gave the problems area an extra dose. If you use a push spreader, just back up while spreading and continue walking this will increase the concentration 2-3x in specific areas. You can not do this with chemicals!!

My theory: poor grass= poor soil. All poor sections of the lawn get double dosses of grains. I've read that 40lbs+ /1000 ft^2 could start to stink, but I have never noticed a foul smell coming from my lawn.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

RE: Questions about Cornmeal and Lawn disease
    posted by: nandina on 06.14.2006 at 08:35 pm in Lawn Care Forum

Dchall and I have both posted lots of information on this subject. Once again for the doubters....UGA and the U. of Texas have published test results of their cornmeal experiments. Bottom line according to them...cornmeal encourages Trichoderma which feed on mycelium and sclerotia of Sclerotina minor, Scleratina rolfsii and all Rhizoctina species.

Brown Patch is in the Rhizoctina family. Cornmeal controls Brown Patch. We have enough independent testimonials from all over the country to make this statement. Cornmeal will also control any fungus which is included in the list of three given above. Cornmeal will not control Red Thread. Anyone faced with an unknown fungus should have it tested and identified by a lab. Again, if a fungus falls in one of the above three families, cornmeal should control the problem.

It's important to remember not to use any chemical fungicides which would kill the Trichoderma (beneficial fungus.) If you've recently used chemical fungicide, it'll take quite a while for the cornmeal to produce results.

• twilightzone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How much of the area is infected with brown patch?
    I believe at least 10 spots ranging from few inches a foot in diameter.

Did you apply the corn meal to the whole lawn?
    I applied to the entire lawn. I hand spread some more in affected spots. I used broadcast spreader.

Do you have any pics?

The biggest spot......

The biggest spot close up...

I have not started watering this season yet as it is just spring, even though spring is drier than usual. I am not sure what makes the fungi grow. I did apply CGM a month ago.

Thanks for all the post. I really do appreciate your advise and suggestions. Because of folks in this forum, at least 6 of my neighbors bought weedhound. I am the first one to start practicing organic lawn care in my neighborhood that I know of. Hoping it would catch on in and around my neighborhood.

Regards,
    TWZ

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

You might want to take a sample to your local extension office to identify the problem. It doesn't look like the brown patch I get on St.Augustine. I've heard there is a disease called Spring Dead Spot that affects Bermuda The softball- to beachball-sized dead spots typically occur in May and early June. Do a search for it.

I still think your ok with the corn meal, just watch that it doesn't spread.

• twilightzone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read about Spring Dead Spot seems like it's a nasty fungal disease. I am wondering if there is a organic way to treat this disease. Would corn meal application sufficient enough. Is there a way to raise PH of the soil through organic means.

Regards,
    TWZ

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Are you sure your PH is LOW?

If and only if your PH is low you could apply dolomite lime or any limestone. You want to go with the fine stuff, it should look and feel like flour. You should be able to get in anywhere.

• twilightzone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am gonna test my soil PH and also send a sample to my local extension. Sorry I meant to ask what I should do to lower my PH rather than raising it.

Thanks,
    TWZ

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

If your pH is high, sulfur can lower it, and I believe that sulfur is considered acceptable under organic guidelines. However, it's generally not practical to lower the pH on a large scale like a lawn.

Using lots of organic matter will slowly lower the pH. It will also buffer the pH somewhat, so that even if the pH is high, the effect won't be as bad.

Sponsored