Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anijunga

Double-duty: CGM and Weed Hound

anijunga
16 years ago

Hi,

I have an area in my front lawn that is infested with dandelions. I was told by my local nursery that I can use corn gluten meal (CGM) now as daffodils have started blooming in my area. In the two and a half years that I've been at this place, I've never done anything to the lawn other than mow it high. As a result, the dandelions have spread, there are patches of clover and "deadish" looking areas.

Here is a picture of the area that I want to apply CGM:

As you can see, there are already dandelions that have established themselves quite nicely on my lawn. Here's a pic near the road:

If I apply CGM to my lawn, won't it help the dandelions that are already there to grow bigger as the CGM breaks down and releases nitrogen? Should I use a Weed Hound before applying CGM to try and get rid of the more adult plants that probably won't be negatively affected?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• dao4686
    16 years ago

Broadleaf weeds like dandelions are fantastic targets for a weedhound. Wait for a rain and weedhound the heck out of those boogers and then put down some CGM at 20lbs per 1000sqft. CGM is a very potent fertilizer and should help your grass out.

What kind of grass do you have by the way? You may need to put out some seed, in which case you won't want to use CGM just yet.

• anijunga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks dao4686.

I had tried to tackle the weeds with a dandelion digger but gave up in frustration (my poor knees). That's when I read about the Weed Hound and thought it might be a good, stand-up alternative to a little digger. However, there's a very high concentration of dandelions in the lower half of the first picture - pretty much that whole area is just dandelions, hardly any grass.

I'm not sure what kind of grass it is. Last year I sprinkled some Scott's Turf Builder, which is mix of of "ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, creeping red fescue and Annual Ryegrass".

• anijunga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's another question:

Should I just skip the CGM now, buy a Weed Hound, a bagful of grass seed and wait until fall to put down CGM?

I also want to get my soil tested so that I can figure out what kind of fertilizer to use.

• dao4686
    16 years ago

Given your grass type, that's what I would recommend doing. Weed hound like crazy, put a layer of compost down on the bare spots, put down some seed and then fertilize with alfalfa or soybean meal.

• rudysmallfry
    16 years ago

The clover indicates the level of nitrogen is low. Alfalfa should bring it up. Also, you might want to check your soil ph. The sparse areas of grass might indicate it's not happy in the soil it's in. Once the soil is better balanced, the grass should start looking better.

I personally love the weedhound. Like another poster said, they come out very easily after a good rain storm and leaves no trace behind.

As far as CGM, I personally think daffodil time is too late. I do it as soon as I see the first crocus about to open.

Good luck.

• anijunga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks rudysmallfry.

I bought the Weed Hound (WH) and a bag of Vigoro Speedy Grass last night from Home Depot. I tried the WH on a few dandelions in the back where it's wetter and was shocked at how well it pulled the taproot out. I definitely need to wait until after a heavy rain.

Thanks for your help!

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

For me, weed control is a process and there are quite a few tools in the 'weed control toolbox' to choose from. Success lies in the strategy of using the individual tools so that they complement each other and I am able to maintain an area that is acceptably weed-free. So, prevent seeding of the offending species, mechanically and/or manually take them out as the conditions permit and, perform the cultural operations that will make the area unfavorable for the weeds to thrive. But I am not a fan for the monoculture; and my definition of a weed is "a plant whose virtues have not been discovered". I am willing to bet something of value that if the cure for cancer is found in dollar weed or sandspur, these will cease to be weeds.

Sponsored