Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pushmower38

Organic lawns late to green up?

pushmower38
9 years ago

I have maintained my lawn organically for a year and a half. Very happy with the results so far. My lawn was in its best condition ever last year - better than any year in the past 15 since I've been a homeowner. However, one thing I noticed last spring and am seeing again this spring - my lawn is late to green up relative to many neighbors. Once everything gets going, my lawn last year was dark green and lush all year long until dormancy in November but in April last year and this year, the lawn looked sleepy - slow to green and to grow. I haven't even had to mow once yet this year.

I don't have full sun anywhere in my lawn and that could explain part of what I'm experiencing. I have been fertilizing once every 6 weeks from April 1 - late October with corn gluten meal (first two applications) and then Agway Organic Lawn Fertilizer "Stage 2" which is comprised of alfalfa, molasses and porcine meat meal. I have mostly TTTF in some areas and other areas (the sunnier ones) are KBG originally from sod. The KBG areas are the last to green up for me.

Is late green up typical for organically maintained lawns and I just have to live with it or should I tweak my practices? I think I have seen some here recommend Milorganite for early green up but I haven't drilled down on the Milorganite safety issue yet. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths