Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic lawns late to green up?

Posted by pushmower38 NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 15:36

I have maintained my lawn organically for a year and a half. Very happy with the results so far. My lawn was in its best condition ever last year - better than any year in the past 15 since I've been a homeowner. However, one thing I noticed last spring and am seeing again this spring - my lawn is late to green up relative to many neighbors. Once everything gets going, my lawn last year was dark green and lush all year long until dormancy in November but in April last year and this year, the lawn looked sleepy - slow to green and to grow. I haven't even had to mow once yet this year.

I don't have full sun anywhere in my lawn and that could explain part of what I'm experiencing. I have been fertilizing once every 6 weeks from April 1 - late October with corn gluten meal (first two applications) and then Agway Organic Lawn Fertilizer "Stage 2" which is comprised of alfalfa, molasses and porcine meat meal. I have mostly TTTF in some areas and other areas (the sunnier ones) are KBG originally from sod. The KBG areas are the last to green up for me.

Is late green up typical for organically maintained lawns and I just have to live with it or should I tweak my practices? I think I have seen some here recommend Milorganite for early green up but I haven't drilled down on the Milorganite safety issue yet. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic lawns late to green up?

Your neighbors' lawns are probably getting a synthetic "winterizer" fertilization, most definitely a Spring fertilizer or possibly both. The synthetic fertilizer is either mostly or completely WSN. WSN is not temperature dependent. It is water soluable and floods the soil with nitrogen ready for root uptake. WSN is available to the grass NOW, so it kick starts growth. Organic fertilizer does not supply nitrogen until temperatures are high enough for the microorganisms to start producing it.
The reason Milorganite helps early green-up like synthetics is because up to 2% of its 5% nitrogen content is WSN.

Hope that helps.

o
RE: Organic lawns late to green up?

What type of grass do you have?
Some grass species are slower to start growing in the spring than others. I have not had to mow my lawn yet either and I do not find that either unusual or disturbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here