Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Corn Gluten Meal: Can you over-apply this?

bananastand
14 years ago

I followed the advice posted in another thread on this forum, and I went to the feed store to get CGM as a pre-emergent for weeds. I got a 50 pound bag for just $22. It did say "corn gluten meal" on the bag, not just "corn gluten." Anyway, that's not why I'm posting.

I decided to replace a large area of lawn around my home with landscaping. It's a sloping hill off the side of my house and was really hard to mow anyway. It's about 1,000 square feet.

The trouble is, I have silver maple trees along the driveway right next to this area. They drop thousands of propellers, and I found that keeping the area weed and maple seedling-free was nearly impossible by hand.

So I applied CGM to the area before re-mulching with hardwood bark. I could not tell what setting to put my spreader on. Everyone says it's 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. I ended up putting the entire 50 pound bag down on my 1,000 square foot area.

Now, the area smells. Really bad. Like something fermenting or rotting or both.

Could I have done major damage? Sorry to post about something not totally lawn related, but I saw the CGM discussion here so I wanted to catch all of you experts. I also figured people using this on lawns would be interested in the answer also. I will x-post this in Organic Gardening too.

I'm new here, hope this is OK! Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor