Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get rid of Poa annua?

Posted by mes08 PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 15:42

It seems that I have quite a bit of Poa annua in my lawn this year - I just started an organic program this spring and I am getting nervous that the Poa annua will eventually overtake my lawn. I have applied CGM in March and just applied Alpha Meal in April. I wonder if I encouraged the growth. I plan on overseeding this fall - if I continue to practice good lawn care habits, will my grass eventually out compete the Poa annua or will it overtake my lawn? My lawn looks pretty good aside from this Poa annua, I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get rid of Poa annua?

It is hard to fight poa with an organic program. Overseeding is one technique by providing competition, however if your seed germinates slower than the poa annua seed that is waiting to germinate in the fall, ie. kbg, you are fighting a losing battle--poa seedlings will be up and running before your seed even starts to germinate! If you have dense patches of poa, I would recommend you round those up (yes, chemical) now...less seeds to spring up later. And I don't care what anyone says about CGM, it is completely inferior to chemical preemergents by a wide margin. If you have diffuse poa throughout but not dense, it may not be as much of a problem and a healthy dense turf may outcompete it. I wish you good luck in any case.

o
RE: Can I get rid of Poa annua?

I don't know of any reports confirming CGM prevents PA germination, especially since a lot of people don't really seem to understand PA is entirely opposite from usual pre-m practices. Being that I only recently returned to the forums regarding lawn care following a two-year absence, I don't know if anyone has reported success with fall applications of CGM. You have to know controlling PA and overseeding is not possible using organic methods. If you want to consider putting off seeding until the fall of 2008, you can expect some success, but, that's only if CGM is effective. As I said, I really don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here