Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysialady

Has anyone used Turf Pro USA products?

ZoysiaLady
12 years ago

Hi all, if any of you used this brand products, please, share your experience: it sounds like a magic to me - "promotes growth, increases soil performance,reduces the need for pesticides, herbicides, etc..." Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

An expensive way to get organic matter in your soil. What is around you that may well be available for free?

• ZoysiaLady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have 2 month old Zoysia that does not grow roots in some areas, gets dry unevenly, when I water more - gets fungus. I live in Daytona Beach and we have sandy poor soil here. I added topsoil before sodding and thought it would be enough... It is not... I need to help grass establish and grow deep roots, improve soil, etc. I cannot topdress it with compost before fall.

Is Turf Pro effective anyway? Did you try it?

There is nothing for free in my area.

Thank you!

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

Turf Pro USA sells humate products. They are probably good for what they do but what they won't do is completely restore poor soil. For that you will need to go to the heavy side of organic fertilizing.

Have you read the Organic Lawn Care FAQ? There is a copy of it in the Organic Gardening FAQ on GardenWeb as well as several other lawn forums around the Internet. It goes into the use of grains rather than buying commercially bagged fertilizer. Grains are available from your local feed store.

Here is a link to feed stores in the Daytona Beach area. They will know absolutely nothing about using their products on a lawn and will look at you like you're crazy. A good place to start would be alfalfa pellets (rabbit food). It comes in a 50-pound bag for about $12. If you buy commercial organic fertilizer with a lot of alfalfa meal in it, you would pay more like $50 for a bag that size. If you are trying to do this in a hurry, apply every month at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. i don't use a spreader. I use my hands and a can to dip the pellets out of the bag. I scatter them like chicken feed.

After you apply the pellets, water lightly to melt them so the birds don't swoop in to carry them away. Other than that, other critters should not bother them. The birds might come in and try to get them, and that is a good thing. They will find other critters in your lawn to take a way.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

If you can find good "topsoil", some that contains about 5 to 8 percent organic matter, and if you add around 6 to 8 inches over your sand, you might get a soil that might grow a fairly decent stand of grass for 5 or 6 years before it starts to deteriorate. Putting "Topsoil" down may not be worthwhile, an expensive means of getting nothing.
    Why can you not apply any compost until fall?

• ZoysiaLady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Why can you not apply any compost until fall?"
    - I have 2 month old very delicate Zoysia, I do not want to smother it with compost now 'cause it recovers very slow, I do not want my lawn looks like crap, but when the grass will get brown - I will topdress it with compost.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA