Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silly question?

Posted by kevingalaxy Central NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 16:11

ok so you have all probably seen this q before - sorry in advance!
I want to go from using Scotts fertilizer + 2% iron (you know the standard one you see in stores) 4 times a year to using milogranite. Now how often do i put milogranite down to get the same results? my lawn is in pretty good shape and i dont want it to ruin it!

Live in central NJ, grass is a mixture of Fescue & KBG (i think), mow 3+ inches all year round, havent watered this year as the rain has been good thus far. thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silly question?

How often will depend on what your soil needs as well as what other management strategies you use, and the only way to know that is to have a good, reliable soil test done. Manage the nutrients in your soil, and the Soil Food Webs ability to deliver those nutrients and that wil take care of itself.
Sufficient amounts of organic matter in the soil, mowing high to leave as much leaf exposed to the sun, so that leaf can manufacture nutrients to feed the roots, and watering properly will go a long way toward a good, healthy turfgrass.

o
RE: silly question?

Without a soil test, which I don't necessarily suggest, then "normally" a cool season lawn should need fertilizer in late spring (now-ish), Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. I would try that schedule this year and see how it looks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here