Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmanar_gw

Need help with lawn

gmanar
9 years ago

Hi All,

I have some problem maintaining my lawn - it has gotten to the stage where it is now an eyesore - in between 2 neighbors with green lawns :)

Total lawn size is about 5000 sft.

I will try to give as much information as i can :

1. we bought this house last year and this is our first home. I have lived all my life in apartments - so my experience with a lawn and grass are very limited.

2. The builder did not clean the yard very well before laying the sod. I remember big patches of cement - where they mixed the cement for bricks etc.. they kind of just laid the sod over it.

3. I think it is fescue grass. It was nice and green good looking - when they laid it. Last year was fine ... watered it well. Fertilized when my neighbors did - once in july - then in sept/oct. added seed in oct - and lime in oct too.

4. I dont have irrigation - so my watering has been a suspect. I did try to water deeply and less often - but i am not sure i could get 1 inch per week. But it rained so much , so for the most part didnt need to water.

5. this year i did add weed and feed in march - and then in apr first week - was going through the organic lawn care forum and got inspired.

6. I sprayed with baby shampoo + molasses couple of times, added 50 pounds of alfalfa.

7. I have kids and we all tend to play in backyard - so that is also partly the reason for the lawn looking so bad.

8. The other day after about 3 inches of rain - i dug about 6 inches (next day) to see how the ground was - it was bone dry so i am thinking the soil condition is very bad.

Now my questions:
1. Is it possible to have good lawn with kids playing there all the time ?
2. How do i improve organic content in the soil ?
3. Where to we get SBM usually (I only have a TSC around and they dont have it).
4. I am planning to spread compost - so can i put the seed and add about 1/4 inch of compost on top now ? or am i too late ?
5. Any other ideas/suggestions/tips will be of great help.

Thanks for reading the long posting.
Regards
Gmanar

Comments (4)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Soybean meal works great, very high in nitrogen. I had to do a ton of research to find a place that could order it for me. The trick is to look for a farm supply store that orders from Blue Seal. You can enter your zip code and find a store near you that supplies it. If nothing comes up then just call around and see who order from them.

It's too late to seed. You should take a soil sample and send it to your local extension office for analysis. Best $20 bucks you can spent. Based on the result you can come up with a plan of action for the fall. Id also recommend you read Organic Lawn Care on the Cheap. It's high level, but a nice intro into what you should be doing.

Glad you discovered organic, much better for the kids. I think you can have an excellent looking lawn without chemical and even with heavy usage.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Where in the United States are you? Zone 7 tells us nothing except which plants will likely survive a normal winter while soil type and climate is of much more use.
    Start with a good reliable soil test. Possibly your state university does that although some no longer do. Prices range from free to homeowners (commercial interests pay) to fairly expensive, depending on what you want tested.
    Soil pH and major nutrients, as well as organic matter (humus levels) are what you should be looking for.

From your description that soil lacks adequate amounts of organic matter. You could spread grains (soybeans are
    Genetically Engineered and may be unacceptable to an organic grower) or compost and take several years to build up adequate levels of organic matter or you could till in large amounts of compost this spring and get a fairly decent lawn by fall.

• gmanar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will work on the soil test soon.
    Also I am in charlotte NC area. We have hard clay. And there is absolutely no earthworms in the ground. I have some raised beds and i have been adding a little coffee grounds last couple of months and now i see a few - very few earthworms in them.

So here is my plan - i will spray baby shampoo and molasses a few more times spaced 3-4 weeks apart. Will start with the grains - thanks so much SC777 that is a great link.

I will not re-seed now - may be in late fall ?

I want to spread a little compost - so should i do now ? or a little later in the fall/next spring ?

Thanks so much again. I hope to revive the lawn by next spring :) now i am more hopeful !

Regards
    Gmanar.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The only thing the shampoo does is reduce the surface tension of the water so it flows easier. Baby shampoo or any other shampoo od any liquid soap will do the same thing, there simply is no magic in baby shampoo.
    Spraying molasses is supposed to stimulate the Soil Food Web, kind of like when your kids eat too much candy, but if there is little organic matter in the soil, and therefore no much SFW activity, there will be no soil bacteria to stimulate so spraying molasses will simply be a waste of time,. energy, and money.
    Putting down a grain, such as soybean meal (a genetically engineered product today that may be unacceptable to an organic grower) if some compost is also applied can help increase the amount of organic matter in the soil which will then get the Soil Food Web functioning which will then fe3ed the grass so it can grow in strong and healthy.