Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another reason to be nice to your soil microbes

Posted by rcnaylor z7 Tex (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 16:44

Can Bacteria Make You Smarter?

ScienceDaily (May 25, 2010) Exposure to specific bacteria in the environment, already believed to have antidepressant qualities, could increase learning behavior, according to research presented at the 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in San Diego.

"Mycobacterium vaccae is a natural soil bacterium which people likely ingest or breath in when they spend time in nature," says Dorothy Matthews of The Sage Colleges in Troy, New York, who conducted the research with her colleague Susan Jenks.

Previous research studies on M. vaccae showed that heat-killed bacteria injected into mice stimulated growth of some neurons in the brain that resulted in increased levels of serotonin and decreased anxiety.

"Since serotonin plays a role in learning we wondered if live M. vaccae could improve learning in mice," says Matthews.

Matthews and Jenks fed live bacteria to mice and assessed their ability to navigate a maze compared to control mice that were not fed the bacteria.

"We found that mice that were fed live M. vaccae navigated the maze twice as fast and with less demonstrated anxiety behaviors as control mice," says Matthews.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another reason to be nice to your soil microbes

• Posted by solc TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 25, 10 at 22:19

Interesting stuff. Always nice to hear good things about going organic.

o
RE: Another reason to be nice to your soil microbes

Very interesting...

I do believe that having healthy soil microbes is more important to people than we may think...

This may be an interesting observation pointing towards why Vitamin D-supplements don't work to improve Mood and health as well as being outside.... Pure speculation -- but interesting to think about at least....

One thing I noticed on myself is that walking around barefoot out in a healthy yard basically eliminates athlete's foot...

Strange... but it has worked for me many times...

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here