Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninja500r

When do I fertilize again?

ninja500r
15 years ago

Uhh so I just started this organic deal. I put down 20lbs/1000 of alfalfa about a month ago on my side yard. So when do I go again? Memorial Day? On the federal holiday schedule? Then skip July 4 right?? But go again on Labor Day? The grass needs to fill in so I will feed it as much as you all think it needs. What do you say?

Comments (3)

• fescue_planter
    15 years ago

For me it would depend on the condition of my soil to begin with (and how much you are willing to spend). If it was without much organic matter I would be putting doses of corn meal/cracked corn on it in between my protein applications as long as it decomposes quickly enough. Since you are in Orlando I would guess the decomposition rate is fairly quick relative to my area which is still mildly humid with below average temperatures. This would help your water retention in the long run especially if you have a sandy soil. Purely for fertilization I would probably fertilize with alfalfa/sbm/cgm every couple months, more if you have bermuda.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

You've been reading the other lawn forum, haven't you! That's the only place I mention skipping the 4th of July. With organic you can fertilizer in the summer. With chemical ferts, you should not fertilizer in the summer. I find that if I skip the 4th of July, my lawn is quite yellow by Labor Day. My federal holiday schedule came from watching it turn yellow and then thinking back to the time when I could have/should have fertilized. Your mileage may vary.

• ninja500r
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah do I ever need organic material in my yard. My soil is really bad sand. So I should fertilize again this weekend and July 4th and then labor day, huh? That's almost what I though then. Thanks guys.

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area