Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cptk1

Zoysia and Microclover?

CPTK
9 years ago

I live in NE Kansas (look up for zip code). Summers are very hot and dry (at least lately). The problem is compounded by the fact that my recent construction (about 1 1/2 year old now) has horrible clay soil that dries to a brick very quickly. My backyard is way too big to water by hand and also way too big (thus expensive) to have sprinklers installed. So I'm looking for a low maintenance solution. My thought is to put Zoysia back there. I want to mix it with 10% microclover for even lower maintenance. What are your thoughts? I've never heard of anyone mixing these two. I realize clover is more on the cool season side and Zoysia is warm season. But they are both low maintenance and spreading. And here in the transition zone I figure they will be on about equal footing. Clover is also an attractive option for the back because I do not plan to use any herbicides back there as my family and dogs play there often.

Lastly, do you think Zenith will do well here or am I limited to Meyer? Seeding is a lot less work than plugging.

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Zoysia is a warm season grass that may not do as well in your area as the people with a vested interest in it (sellers) might indicate. I would talk with the people at your local office of the University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Service before doing more.

• CPTK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have a neighbor a few houses down that had his whole front lawn sodded with Meyer. It is doing great. Yes, it is a little slower to green up in the spring than the surrounding Fescue, but it is very healthy.

I have discussed lawn grasses with the local Extension Office on numerous occasions. The unfortunate fact is that here in the transition zone, there is simply not a great option when it comes to grass. It's too hot in the summer for cool season grasses and it's too cold in the winter for warm season grasses. So you pretty much just have to pick your poison.

I actually think the best option would be a Bermuda that can survive the winter. However, the only one that seems to have a real good chance of doing that would be Yukon, which is very expensive. Again, this is a large area where two dogs roam and which doesn't get artificial irrigation, so I'm leery of spending a lot of money on it.

Most people use Fescue here, and that is what I use in my front yard. The front yard is smaller and I'm willing to invest more maintenance in it because it is seen. There are no dogs running around in it, and I'm willing to overseed this area regularly.

Fescue is out of the question for the back because it needs too much water here in the summer and because it requires regular overseeding. I need a spreading grass.

Bluegrass can't survive the summer without serious irrigation.

Zoysia is actually the perfect choice for the area and situation.

But that wasn't the question. The question was whether there are any issues I'm not forecasting with mixing 10% microclover with Zoysia.

• Sue Edwards
    3 years ago

I realize this post is several years old; if the author is still on houzz, I'd love to hear your results if you did mix the two. I have a zoysia front lawn and have been thinking about doing the same thing for several years. We also live in the transition zone (though in Virginia) and run into the same problems.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?