Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of lawn worm is this?

Posted by Capt08 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 19:38

I was examining my lawn and noticed a worm on top of a blade of grass. I pulled it off and tossed it away. I I kept examining and found 16 more of these lil turds. I tried looking it up and cannot seem to find the type of worm. Its not a grub nor an armyworm due to the different look of this worm compared to the images online.

This is the first time that I've seen this worm on my lawn for the past 3 years that I've owned my home. I started going organic this year for lawn fertilization. What could have caused this? Are they a danger to my lawn and if so how can I get rid them organically?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of lawn worm is this?

Google webworm.

o

Thanks.

This post was edited by Capt08 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 21:49

o

If they are turf webworms (which I'm pretty sure it is), in a couple of weeks walking through your lawn will stir up small low flying moths.
I'm not aware of an organic cure, but they do little damage to healthy turf. At least healthy KB lawns weather them pretty well.

o

Thanks Yardtractor. I've been reading up on them. They are attracted to high nitrogen, moist healthy soils and usually the lawn bounces back after they go through their two life cycles within the season but they do lay eggs in the soil when they are at the moth stage. I've also read that they particularly like fescue lawns which I have.

The only organic way of slowing them down was the use of a clear dishwashing lquid. 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water. I'm going to use that and also unsulfured molasses and organic vinegar. I'll also yank the lil suckers off my lawn by hand once spotted and introduce them to the bottom of my boot.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

o

Where were these found? In the soil? Or in the turf?
Looks more like a grub, the larva of one of the Scarab Beetles.

o

They were on top of grass blades eating from top down.

o

Here's another angle of a different worm.

o

And another angle from the first worm pictured

o

Do the above pictures look like a grub or webworm? The images below is from Google of a grub which have heads that are dark red, have 6 legs in the front of their body and their rears are a dark gray-ish/blackened color.

This post was edited by Capt08 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 9:01

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here