Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first rain barrel!

Posted by juggler z5Mich (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 19:56

My brother and I finished putting together our first rain barrel. And the weather man is calling for thunder bangers tomorrow! The blue plastic barrel was acquired at a old engine swap meet. We turned it upside down, bored a hole into what is now the top, this is the inlet. We used the 3/4" threads in the bung, and threaded plastic PVC parts into that. Then a PVC to brass fitting, into which we installed a brass spigot. Also, a 2" overflow was installed. We used fiberglass window screen at the inlet, and at the end of the overflow. I dropped a 1/4 "doughnut" of a Mosquito Dunk in the tank today. Hopefully it will work as planned. Just waiting for the predicted rain tomorrow!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first rain barrel!

Looks great. Nice work! How did you fasten the overflow? I'm eager to build one too.

o

We "modified" some PCV pieces to make our own 2" bulkhead fitting. We used bicycle inner tubes as gaskets. (You can see some of the "gasket" at the top of the overflow tube.)

o

Thanks for the tip!

o

Got my first barrel full of rainwater this morning. No leaks, no runs, no drips!

o

I just got a barrel. I'm ready to try to make my first rain barrel too. I'm going with the same design as you presented. How did you attach the spigot to the bottom of the barrel? I heard that you can get pvc that is threaded for the bung plug. Have you looked into that?
Thanks!

o

Yup! That's how I mounted the spigot. The bung has standard 3/4" pipe thread molded into it. You can find everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot. Remember to post pics when your done! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here