Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilomark

Humpity bumpity lawn area!

hilomark
16 years ago

Hi all!

My village replaced sewer lines a few years ago, and one side of my corner lot still hasn't recovered. It's an area about 80' long by 6-10' wide. They put down soil and seed, and I needed to redo it just to get a passable lawn going. I regularly mulch my clippings and finely chop leaves which blow onto the area in the fall.

The area is markedly hard and bumpy when I mow, and the grass is spottier than in the rest of the lawn. I am debating whether to put down more topsoil to even it out. My alternative is to slowly topdress with town compost to hopefully fill in the little ruts and eventually "soften" the entire area.

My soil is generally clay loam (with the emphasis on CLAY!) with decent fertility. It's in full sun with little competition from tree roots. Much of the rest of my lawn is zoysia (I didn't plant!), but this area has a multitude of mixed grasses in it. I live in a rural village where people aren't fanatic about their lawns, and are usually happy if they have something green to mow!

What do you think is the best way to improve this stretch of lawn?

Lois

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!