Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickyrosy

Weed be gone max

rickyrosy
14 years ago

I use meals on my lawn and yes my lawn looks great. I use weeed be gone to spot kill any weeds. Last year I used weed be gone max concentrate. I did the conversion very wrong and killed the grass as well. I would like to use it again. If you need 2 oz to make a gallon, How much do you use to make 24 oz. I figured it out to 3/8 oz, but how does that covert to tsp? I figured it to be around 2 teaspoons. Any thoghts?

Thanks

Sue

Comments (10)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Any product that contains 2,4, D and Dicamba is unacceptable to any organic gardener. This is not a question to aks on an organic lawn forum.

• rickyrosy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been reading both the lawncare and organic lawncare for several years. I have learned lots. I love to compost.My grandaughter will sit in the wheelbarrow and help fling coffee grounds(Starbucks) and meals.My dog loves to bask in the sun on the warm grass. I usually hand pull or use my weedhound for weeds. I have wild ivy that I cant't control, hence use weed be gone. I believe I do take care of my lawn orgainically. After reading the posts on this site the use of weed killers come up often. You will have to excuse us kinda organic people.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

I agree with rickyrosy. If it gets really bad, use chemicals. I'm not afraid to admit that I use round up in certain situations. I think I will spot spray weeds with weed be gone. It's one of those annoying weeds that you can't prevent by mowing high, etc.

• uncle_al_tkp
    14 years ago

rickyrosy,

Your math is almost correct. I calculated about 2 1/4 tsp to make 24ozs.

Al

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

Weights and measurements like that hurt my head, so I go the simple route.

Surely you have an old 1 gallon plastic jug around the house. A gallon of bleach for laundry, a gallon of windshield solvent for the car, etc.

Save the bottle, rinse it out with water and then mix yourself a whole gallon jug of WBG and spray away using saved old Windex bottle sprayers! Whatever you don't use, keep from freezing and use again next year.

PS - spray when temps are cool only, then WBG won't kill your grass. See the label.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

I use Google to do all my conversions. Type in the following
    2 ounces per gallon in ounces per 24 ounces

But to add to what kimmsr said, we're organic here and you'll get a lot more experienced advice on chemical usage from the people at the lawns forum.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

>"I use Google to do all my conversions. Type in the following
    2 ounces per gallon in ounces per 24 ounces"

2 (US fluid ounces per US gallon) = 0.375 ounces per (24 ounces)

0.375 US fluid ounces = 0.75 US tablespoons
    Now you have to search the kitchen drawer for the .75 tablespoon measure!

See? This is why I just mix a gallon in an old jug, LOL!

• uncle_al_tkp
    14 years ago

garyinchicago,

You mentioned something that I have be unable to find the answer to. What exactly happens to a product such as WBG when it freezes??? ("DO NOT ALLOW PRODUCT TO FREEZE" is always stated on the labels.) I always thought that freezing prevented, or at least slowed, chemical changes. Does the active ingredient precipitate out and not go back into solution?? Just curious about this, not arguing with your statement.

Al

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Some year back at DowMidland where they make 2,4, D on of the employees was sprayed by some of this product had a heart attack and died. That he did not have on proper personal protective equipment was a factor. This was a stronger Solution than anyone purchasing the product will ever see but this can happen.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

kimmsr you forget to mention 2,4D being a component of Agent Orange! ... If you're scared - get a dog!

-

Uncle Al - good question!
    I can't remember what it exactly was but I forgot a couple products in the garage over winter once or 2 - 3 times. Come spring, the liquids are separated. Looks like oil and water. Maybe it is just condensation that causes that but I learn by my monetary mistakes, LOL!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH