Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killed bermuda grass/weeds w/ plastic: now what?

Posted by Tiff_Nash none (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 21:42

I wanted an organic method for killing off the bermuda grass and weeds in our backyard, so I covered the entire yard in plastic. It worked, and now the bermuda and weeds are dead (presumably deep to the roots too). We want to seed it with new grass seed, but do we need to scrape off all of the dead bermuda? Or can we just dump sifted soil on top of the dead bermuda and then drop in grass seed? or better yet, can we just drop grass seed on top of the dead bermuda?
Many thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killed bermuda grass/weeds w/ plastic: now what?

How long was the Bermuda covered with plastic, and how long has the plastic been removed?

o

The Bermuda was covered for 8 weeks. We have not yet removed the plastic because I'm not yet sure if we should add topsoil or remove all of the dead bermuda first. I looked under the plastic, and all of the bermuda and weeds are white and dead.

o

Kill it again. White isn't dead. It's zombified but still growing. And that's why it's a popular lawn grass. It's tough as all get out.

o

Hollysprings: When you say kill it again, do you mean that I should continue to leave the plastic on for even longer? Or should I do something else to really kill it off?

o

"Kill it again". lol. Classic. You might want to try blocking out the sun with a commercial grade weed control fabric and having the plastic over that to keep out water. Seems like you're giving the grass and weeds a steam bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here