Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habiem_gw

Organic pest control?

habiem
16 years ago

Anyone know of anywhere to get some information on organic pest control? I don't have any particular pest problem, but was curious if there was some sort of preventative treatment that I could use, rather than paying the Orkin man to come...not to mention all of the chemicals...

Comments (4)

• playsinthedirt20
    16 years ago

"Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees - please!"

Good for you to try to stay away from the chemicals. If you haven't already done so, read "Silent Spring." Or if you have, re-read it.

If you have no real pest problem, then you have no problem. I've read about beneficial nematodes, ladybugs, even bats to get rid of some insects, but have never tried any of them. The only thing I know that really works is boiling water to get rid of termites. We were all having swarms around the neighborhood last summer, for whatever reason. It works great. It also kills dandelions.

I'm sure there's a FAQ section that can be of help. But since we're losing our honeybees at an alarming rate, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?" Watch out for those chemicals. DDT is still lingering in our ground water - since the 1970's!

Good luck

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Anyone know of anywhere to get some information on organic pest control? I don't have any particular pest problem, but was curious if there was some sort of preventative treatment that I could use,

I agree with Plays In the Dirt. If you don't have a specific issue, don't worry about it. When you do, a targeted response is always best.

Grubs? Try Milky Spore or nematodes.

Japanese beetles? Good bloody luck. If you find anything that works and isn't a poison, let me know.

Aphids? Slightly soapy water, or just wait it out and realize a raft of ladybugs will be along soonest to have lunch.

I've found that the key is a healthy, chemical free (as much as possible) soil. It seems to maintain its own balance and I've never needed an insecticide. Since they build up in the predator species, that's a good thing.

Organic or not, if I had a sudden severe issue I wouldn't think twice about a one-time reset with chemicals. They do have their place--and emergencies happen.

• habiem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only problem that we've ever had are these tiny beetle looking things that come into the house through the sliding glass door. They seem to come in the hundreds. That's what led us to call the orkin man to begin with. I think we determined at one point they are carpet beetles. Apparently they eat the dander from the dogs (2 labs), which is what attracts them so much to our house/yard. Any thoughts? Something to spray around that door?

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

habiem, there is a saying "the eyes of the master fatten the calf". Believe me, the master does not have magical powers! You can do the same in an hour a week. Walk your property and look at your plants with a critical eye. Look for the first sign of abnormality and check it out. Learn what to look for, find out if it is bad, if it is bad enough to have to be remedied, what is the best tool (there is a tool box) to use. Pruning a plant might take care of an aphid infestation; soap flushing a lawn might point up an insect infestation that can be taken care of by a cultural operation. The chinch bug (and knee-jerk application of synthetic chemical insecticides) has been blamed wrongfully for irrigation problems. Get hold of Key to the identification of pests and diseases. Practise it as you walk your property, the neighborhood park and other landscapes.
    I cannot be sure that this answer is satisfactory but it is the best I can do.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor