Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Limp Fescue with KBG

Posted by downeast_gardener 5B (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 22:14

Fifteen years ago, my new front yard was sodded but the back was seeded with a fescue blend - I don't recall the varieties. I am one year into a 100% organic program and the lawn looks wonderful (front and back) - all done by myself based on what I've learned from this forum. However, I am not happy with the way my fescues won't stand up for mowing and I'm wondering if it is possible to introduce KBG in the hope that it will eventually crowd out the fescues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Limp Fescue with KBG

What kind of fescue do you have? Is there a lot of sun or is it shaded?

Most fescues don't spread, so over time, the KBG will tend to dominate, but depending on the kind of fescue, you could end up with a lawn with grasses that grow at different rates and look very different.

o

I believe that this is one of the red fescues. The area receives about seven hours of sun throughout the growing season. Thanks for your response.

o

I think 7 hours of sun a day should be enough for KBG. It may or may not crowd out the fescue. If you want to replace the fescue, you'd be better off killing it and reseeding, but if you do something like core aerate the area and overseed with KBG, then maintain it with inputs that favor the KBG, it will probably dominate over time. For example, if you feed it with about 4 lbs of N per 1000 sq ft per year, the KBG will thrive and the red fescue will struggle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here