Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small holes after rain

Posted by kmnhiramga 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 22:34

Ok experts. We had a good T storm Friday evening and about 1/2" of rain (judging from the clay saucer flower pot bottoms on my deck) and this afternoon I noticed small holes all in my lawn. My back yard has some common bermuda and some spots where I have put sod bermuda. The holes (a little larger than the diameter of a pen or pencil) were most prominent or visible where the sod is.
There were probably 15-20 holes per square foot, or maybe more. What critter made these holes? Could I be so lucky that they were earthworms? OR unlucky that grubs did this?
Any ideas? I'll check it out again tomorrow and see if I can get a picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small holes after rain

I don't know if I'm an expert, but to me those sound like earthworm holes. Earthworms often come to the surface during rain, and the diameter of these sound about right for earthworms.

Did any of the holes have little bumpy piles near them? The absence of these piles doesn't rule out worms, since the rain could have worn them down, but if they were there, it would make it more likely that these holes are from worms.

o
RE: small holes after rain

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 07 at 10:33

Sounds like worms to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here