Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

My lawn update

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share how my lawn currently looks right now. It's 75% green and 25% brown grass. The brown is not much obvious on the picture but there really is. Last year same time, I remember that I only saw very few dead blades near the topsoil. It was very thick green. I remember, I applied CGM April 5, 2007. Then around April 28, most of my blades were already dark green.

This year, it was totally different. Maybe, due to the weather we had, heavy and late snow. I have tons of dead grass everywhere from topsoil level to 1" above it. I will be applying molasses to increase bacteria and decomposition.

Anyways, here are the currect pics. Oh, I applied Milorganite 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I applied SBM at 14lbs/1000sqft. Next year, I'll put CGM around late March. :) That's what I didn't do this year.

I'm also currently brewing a protozoa soup from grass clippings. Then I will use that same soup for my compost tea brewing. I'm not sure what's going to happen. :D

Aight guys, later.....

{{gwi:231970}}

Comments (4)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Not sure what the problem is but it looks pretty good.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope, lawn is fine. I was just sharing how my lawn looks like. :) What I have learned this year is being patient. My lawn really had a late green up. As day passes by, the dead blades goes away slowly. It's getting thicker and denser again. :D

Thanks!

• paulinct
    15 years ago

I think that looks excellent, especially for zone 5, this early in the season. Do I recall that you were considering starting over this fall with the mag 3? If so I don't think that would be necessary at all unless you are getting recurring fungal outbreaks or some similar problem, or if you just really really want some darker grass. If your problem is weeds I think that is totally manageable given all of that good grass. Maybe even with just a weed hound.

If you do really want darker grass, then just be aware that, in renovating a lawn as nice as yours, you will feel set back for maybe a year or so due to all the new weeds you will start growing. Particularly Poa annua, if that is a problem in your area.

Then again, if I'm just confused and thinking of someone else, please ignore all of the above...

Your lawn looks great.

Best,
    Paul

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are exactly correct! It was me. :) I was even the person that named those 3 KBG cultivars as Magnificent 3 :D
    However, I'm thinking that I'm not going to start from scratch anymore. I might just be overeseeding if in case blade density gets thin.

Also, I have noticed that I am still not seeing any powdery mildew which is really good. The PM was violent starting month of March for the past 2 years. I'll monitor it.

However, I do see some small dead patches which I think was caused by snow mold. I read from another forum that snow mold can be prevented by cutting the blades really short around October, or when grass doesn't grow anymore. Can someone confirm this please? If it's true, I'll cut my lawn really short then. However, I don't know that if I cut it really short(not scalp), will it allow weed seeds to touch the soil, allowing it to germinate in spring?

I also read that putting fertilizer late in fall will contribute to snow mold.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH