Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Landscape Fabric Disaster?

Posted by youngblood_2004 (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 23:45

As a new homeowner, I'm turning my attention to the lawn. Unfortunately it was severely neglected and is more weeds than grass. Tonight, I was edging for new perennial beds and found what appears to be a nightmare scenario. I hit landscape fabric! It appears to be 2-3 inches underneath the lawn. I have spot checked several areas (well into the lawn) and this nasty stuff is everywhere. I have no idea why the previous owner would do such a bizarre thing. As you may guess the poor struggling lawn is unable to penetrate the landscape fabric and has surface root overgrowth (and weeds are thriving). I am not pleased with this situation and am afraid of the possible options.
1. complete removal of the fabric is analogous to the nuclear option. total removal of soil and sod and fabric... replace with new $od.

or

2. could heavy repeated plug aeration allow the lawn to penetrate the fabric sufficiently to regain some vigor? THe plugs would have to be significant to penetrate the fabric.

This is a great community and I appreciate any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Landscape Fabric Disaster?

• Posted by rdak z5MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 7:48

My God!! That is horrible. I feel bad for you.

I suppose a guzillion punched holes is about the only option other than the nuclear option.

Why in the world would someone put landscape fabric UNDER a lawn??!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here