Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanuck_gw

Soybean Pulp on Lawn

Vanuck
9 years ago

Hi all,

There's a restaurant near where I live that continuously pumps out soybean pulp that dries and becomes these crumbly chunks. They have it at the back and it is free for the taking.

Would applying the dried soybean pulp to my lawn have any benefits? Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The simplest way would be to fling it around by the shovel full. Keep in mind that about 90 percent of the soybeans in grown in the USA are of the Genetically Engineered variety which for many of us organic growers places them on the do not use list.

• Vanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for answering. Does soybean pulp yield similar benefits as soybean meal, or are they completely different from each other?

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

@kimmsr - I appreciate the concern about GM soybeans, but it seems that nearly all grains and typically used organic products are now contaminated. According this recent article:

"Nine GM crops are currently being sold in the U.S.: corn, soybeans, canola, cotton, sugar beets, alfalfa, Hawaiian papaya, zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. Ninety percent of corn and cotton, 93 percent of soybeans, and 95 percent of sugar beets in the U.S. are GM crops. Most U.S. livestock is fed GM corn, alfalfa and soybeans"

That would rule out soybean meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal, alfalfa, cotton meal, cracked corn.

What are you using, and what is your long term plan to avoid GM grains? My understanding is that, at this point farms can't stop the spread of contaminated seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: GM Foods

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Vanuck, that is a question I cannot answer since I have not seen anything, anywhere, about soybean pulp. It would be organic matter but what nutrients might be there is unknown.
    We look for local growers that do not plant any Genetically Engineered plants and buy from them and do not buy the produce in the grocers that are of unknown source. Even in New York City it is becoming easier to find locally grown, organic, produce which is being grown on roof tops.

This post was edited by kimmsr on Tue, May 13, 14 at 7:03

• CPTK
    9 years ago

What evidence exists that GM crops are harmful?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Since the companies that are pushing these Genetically Engineered foods have done no research into whether or not these foods are, or are not, harmful we do not know. However, there is some other research that has indicated they do harm to mice, although the companies that are pushing the GE crops have done a lot to try to discount this research. So the bottom line is we do not know.
    If one subscribes to the Precautionary Principle then none of these products would have been allowed until good research was done. The European Union apparently thinks there is enough question that they do not allow them.