Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

worm eggs online site

v1rt
16 years ago

Hi folks,

Can someone please recommend a reliable online store that sells worm eggs/cocoons? I tried yellow pages but didn't return anything.

Thanks,

Ron

Comments (13)

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

If you build up your soil via organic lawn care...

They will come.

No need for imported wigglers...just be patient. Next summer you will have tons.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm just worried because, I have excavated 8 big and deep holes at the back(for my new trees) and I never saw even 1 earthworm. :(

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

and also, what if the soil that they put to our property has been under synthetic/pesticide or whatever, how long I have to wait before worms become alive?

This is the reason why I want to spread soon.

Thanks.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

The trees you plant probably have worms in the soil around the rootball. They'll spread. That's a big part of the way that earthworms have become so prevalent in the US. Most of the earthworms died during the ice age, but they've come back due to plants and so forth.

If the soil was damaged to the point that worms would not survive, introducing worms won't change that. When the soil is acceptable to the worms, they'll spread from sources such as the trees and other potted plants that you put in.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, you are correct! I saw 2 earthworms when I removed the burlap. But that will take a long time for them to multiply.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"But that will take a long time for them to multiply."

Define long time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, dig areas where you know you have worms, grab a few and toss them in the other areas.

There really is no need to buy anything.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

"But that will take a long time for them to multiply."

Bpgreen is right--not so very long at all!

Here's a good site with more information than you ever wanted to know about earthworms

Down at the bottom is the reproduction rate of the European nightcrawler--about 2 worms every 90 days (from egg laying to maturity).

That's a geometric curve. Completely ignoring predation (minor until there's a good number of them), illness (minor in small populations as a general rule), etc. from the probably 100 worms you have scattered about the property (seeing two means you have a whole lot more and I'm shooting low):

200 in September 2007
    Winter asleep
    400 in June 2008
    800 in September 2008
    1600 in June 2009
    3200 in September 2009

The curve goes fast from there, but limited resources, predation, etc. start to impact it much more strongly.

That initial 100 was a very low-ball estimate.

Also, worms seem to be the result of good, organic soil, not the creator of it (they eat the bacteria that eat the organics). For aeration, nothing beats a good symbiotic fungus or bacteria.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great info that I didn't know about. Well, rather than worm eggs, I'll buy a pound or two of earthworms. And like what you said, spread them to different areas. Do they need another partner to reproduce? Also, someone told me about nightcrawlers, they really go deep however, I saw another post that they have also caused havocs in trees. I might be wrong.

What do you think about my plan?

• greenjeans_il
    16 years ago

They're asexual, meaning they can be both male and female. There's no such thing as little boy worms and little girl worms. I agree with what everyone has said so far; they will multiply. Adding a mail order non-native species to your lawn is actually the same as driving the last nail in their coffin. They will probably die as soon as the ground freezes next Winter or when the soil heats up this Summer or when the clay turns to stone in the dry heat.

If you must have worms I'd recomend starting a worm bin and harvesting their castings for use around your new trees and plants.

Greenjeans

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

It's your money, and you can spend how you want, but I would not buy worms. Build the soil, and they will come!

I was in a similiar situation. When I moved here, in the spring, there were few if any worms. I started to heavily amend the flower beds, and I started an organic lawn program. By fall, i noticed a lot more worms, and now I have plenty. The soil will only support what it can, and the only way to change that is by adding organic matter to the soil.

16 years ago

Adding a mail order non-native species to your lawn is actually the same as driving the last nail in their coffin.

Just so. If you have family members close by who've been there a while and have worms, you can snitch some from them, put 'em in a pail of dirt, and spread them on your own property (in the best protected, dampest areas).

Me, I snitched some from my parents to get the ball rolling. Foreign to my soil, yes, but the grand total trip was about a mile.

Way too far for the little critters to crawl. :-)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah morpheus, I'll do that. My friends were here at home today to help me with the tree in the hole that I can't move. We were talking about lawns. I mentioned worms and he told me that he's got tons of worms in his lawn. I asked him that I'll get some and he said it's fine. However, he also mentioned that I can buy from those bait vending machines. And then he mentioned that those are nightcrawler worms. From a thread I saw, nightcrawlers aren't good, they also eat other worms.

So looks like, I'll just have to snatch some from him. However, I'm afraid, I don't know if it will survive in my soil.

16 years ago

However, I'm afraid, I don't know if it will survive in my soil.

If they don't, they die off and you can try again. You can maximize the likelihood of survival by starting them in soil that stays damper (the north and east faces of your house are probably best) and that's been organically fed (which you do).

Place them on the dirt/lawn at nightfall because they hate sunlight (worms do not have eyes, but they do have light receptor cells that are the evolutionary precursor to a basic eye--light seems to cause them pain).

Water the area pretty well when you put 'em down. That should help keep them damp until they find homes.

Don't saturate. Worms breathe through their skin and can't do that if they're under water.

By morning they should be exploring their new home.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner