Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss and clover

Posted by chris_ont 5a Ont (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 8:53

Hi
Am I correct in assuming that, in terms of ph preference, moss and clover are at the opposite end of the sprectrum?

I have a tricky patch near a tall cedar hedge. It is very damp in the spring and there is plenty of moss. When wet, it and any grass that grows there pretty much slides off the soil unless you step carefully. But by this time of year it dries out and there are bare patches. It gets about four hours of sun.

I am sowing clover in other areas of the lawn. Am I correct in assuming that, if moss grows in this spot, clover is NOT likely to get along there?

C.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss and clover

I don't know about that. People keep saying that moss needs low pH, but the neighbor to the south of me waters too much, so there's always moss along the fence (north side of the fence) and I have alkaline soil. Dutch white clover (I assume that's the kind you mean) prefers slightly acidic soil, but will grow in a pretty large range.

I think the bigger issue would be the water. I don't think clover does all that well in that much water.

o
RE: moss and clover

I can tell you that in my yard moss and clover live quite nicely with one another. The only thing missing for me right now is actual grass - but I'm working on it. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here