Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scott's Weed n Feed failure

Posted by katefisher Z7_NorthernCA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 9:24

A couple of questions please. This spring we wanted to make a change from Scott's to something environmentally kinder. Time started to go by and ultimately we decided that since I had a nearly full bag of Weed & Feed in the shed from last year I would use it on the whole lawn once and then get rid of it. See what the next step was in something non synthetic after that.

We had not fertilzied since Spring of 2007. Well I think our fertilizer had become inert. Perhaps it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time before I bought it I'm not sure. But now three weeks later our lawn has not shown any greening up at all. It is greenish but I can see the yellow creeping in.

I would like to try another fertilizer but don't want to use a synthetic at this point. I have been watering the lawn regularly, I don't know what kind of grass we have. The temps have been right around 90 if that makes a difference.

Can someone suggest a product that will give my lawn a good feeding without burning? I'm not worried about the weed situation. I have been hand pulling enough that weeds are a very small problem currently.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scott's Weed n Feed failure

Hello Kate,

If you are looking for an organic alternative, I would suggest soybean meal. I am in my 2nd year of organic lawn care and you would not believe the difference it has made. I usually apply about 20lb/1000 square feet. It usually takes a few weeks after application to see the results.

I hope this helps

o

Thank you very much! I will check that out. And I can apply it now?

Kate

o

jlaak5:

On the topic of Soybean Meal I found a couple of photos of Soybean Meal for lawn online. I will be darned if I can find any retailers though. We live in a small community and I checked all the logical places including the feed store. I don't mind a bit buying it online. Can you or someone else suggest a source online for me?

Thank you.

Kate

o

Have you read the organic lawn care FAQ? If not i highly suggest reading it. Just so you know any ground grain can be used to feed your soil/lawn including: Soybean, Alfalfa, Corn Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, or even Used Coffee Grounds.

Try these places:

Equipride

Polo Center

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here