Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf spot?

Posted by elkhardt 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 11:18

It has been very damp this spring and it looks as if I have Leaf Spot. I understand that corn meal is good for fungus, but I cant seem to find any in bulk around Wichita, KS. Will cracked corn work for fungus problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf spot?

No one has responded so Ill give it a try, I use cracked corn because it is readily available and is cheap. It seems to work good for me. Some say that corn meal is better, and it might be, but really, its the same stuff only milled finer. Corn meal will disappear faster and may be digested faster than cracked. Also cracked corn will attract lots of birds and squirrels, which of course will eat some of it. Cracked corn will have quite a few whole or partial kernels, which may germinate and provide you with some little corn stalks growing up in your lawn. I havent seen that affect this year however, maybe because the pre-m is effective in stopping it. So to answer you question, Yes, it should work for you. I would suggest application rate of about 15 lbs per 1000 sq ft, twice, about 6 weeks apart. Next year, use it earlier as a preventer instead of waiting until your lawn is infected with leaf spot or other fungi. This seems odd to say, but, "good luck with your fungus"

o
RE: Leaf spot?

Thanks for the reply. This is my first year for the organic approach. I will pick some up on my way to work this evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here