Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I use along with coffee grinds

Posted by gatornation81 Gainesville, FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 11:21

I like the use of coffee grinds since they are free and easy to get. Should I be mixing it up a bit and using Soy Bean/Corn/Alfalfa? I was thinking it would be good to put one of those down a couple times a year.

I'm also showing very small signs of grey leaf spot, but it seems like most lawns are as it's rained a lot recently. Based on old posts I'm going to try and find some green sand for that. I also think I probably should not have cut when it was wet last week.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I use along with coffee grinds

You can add other things if you want. It takes a lot of coffee grounds to provide enough nitrogen for a lawn, but if you get enough and/or have a small lawn, you can fertilize with coffee grounds alone. I did for years.

o

Thanks. I'm lacking that deep green I had when I first laid my lawn. Is there any harm with putting down Iron now.

I found the table below which seems to show it shouldn't be an issue in June.

Table 3 is what I'm talking about in North Florida.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh010

o

If it's a foliar spray, iron can cause burning if daily highs are above 80F, but if it's granular, I think it can be used any time.

o

What to use will depend on what your soil needs. Getting the soil into a good healthy condition that will grow a strong and healhty stand of grass should be your number one priority.
What is your soils pH?
How much organic matter is in that soil?
How well does that soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What kind of life is in that soil?
Are the major nutrients in balance?

o

For iron in an organic approach, I prefer greensand. Plus, imho, you probably get some beneficial micronutrients with it you don't get with straight iron.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here