Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutlas72

Baby Frogs in my Sod?

cutlas72
16 years ago

I know this sounds rather strange, but since laying my Zoysia sod, I've seen an increase(from zero) of baby frogs or toads around my yard. Is this something to be happy or worried about? Or is it just a coincidence? I've been watering twice daily when theres no rain so maybe thats it? Any response appreciated.

Comments (9)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Is this something to be happy or worried about? Or is it just a coincidence? I've been watering twice daily when theres no rain so maybe thats it?

Cool! I had thought frogs grew up in water as tadpoles, but I guess I could be wrong. Maybe the watering attracted young frogs from somebody else's water feature, or you have a pond somewhere and they're migrating in.

Don't worry 'bout them. They eat bugs, so all things considered I'd put them on the helpful and positive list. If you could get a photo of them, I'd love to see it!

• okgrassguy
    16 years ago

Hey I work up on the northside at one of the local tv stations. They are all over the place here. All on the doors windows, sidewalks, doors and such. You have to be carefull leaving at night. Im guessing the unusual amount of rain and cooler temps have something to do with it.

I hardly see any at my place in Moore. Must be up here mostly

• habiem
    16 years ago

For what it's worth, after going organic I have noticed an increase in frogs, toads, and snakes (harmless, non-venemous), worms, and therefore, birds. I generally consider it a good sign that they think my lawn is a nice place to inhabit. If you think about it, it's normally not the prescense of animals like this that worries ecologists, but rather it's their absensce that incdicates a problem.

• doopstr
    16 years ago

We have some small frogs in our yard. I have no idea what they are using for a water source but they seem to be happy. They are pretty smart too. They know when the tractor is coming. They are too small for me to see them in the lawn but I see them spring into action when I get about 2 feet away.

• cutlas72
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, still got the frogs but haven't been able to get a pic yet. We've had 17+ straight days of rain, which has me worried about my new sod. Is there such a thing as over-watering? It rains so much seems the sod is water-logged, you step on it it squishes.

Anyway, the frogs I can handle, but the possum I saw this morning is one dead marsupial if I see him again!

16 years ago

Well, still got the frogs but haven't been able to get a pic yet. We've had 17+ straight days of rain, which has me worried about my new sod. Is there such a thing as over-watering? It rains so much seems the sod is water-logged, you step on it it squishes.

Yes, it can be overwatered, and yes, it sounds like it's being overwatered.

Once the weather clears (your forecast looks like you get a break starting Tuesday, and by Saturday it's sunny and pleasantly warm) you may have to water it a bit daily, backing off slowly to let it grow roots. It sure isn't going to bother if it's been soaking wet for two weeks.

• cutlas72
    Original Author
    16 years ago

[i]Once the weather clears... you may have to water it a bit daily, backing off slowly to let it grow roots.[/i]

How many days should I let pass without rain before I go back to watering myself? Today(Sat) we didn't get much rain here in the city, just drizzle, so I put down some ACT I'd been brewing for 36+ hrs. So even though there wasn't much rain, it did get watered by the hose-end sprayer.

I must say though that there are only a few corner pieces were the sod is easily picked up. It seems to be taking root just fine. Even the second pallet, which was on the back of my truck for a week(long story) seems to be taking root. And boy has it greened up!

My next question is in RE: to mowing. Am I right in thinking that the sod should be [b][i]WELL[/i][/b] rooted before a mower goes near it? The last thing I want to do is muck it up by getting over anxious to see that carpeted green.
    Thank you all for the help.

16 years ago

I must say though that there are only a few corner pieces were the sod is easily picked up. It seems to be taking root just fine. Even the second pallet, which was on the back of my truck for a week(long story) seems to be taking root. And boy has it greened up!

Zoysia must be more sturdy than I thought! I know KBG, where I'd water every other day for a week (if it doesn't rain), and not to the point of saturation. Then every third day for a week, etc, until I got down to once a week, or twice in very hot weather.

If the soil's damp when you go to water, I'd skip it. Cloudy weather for days means you may not be watering much.

Fortunately, it's hard to make a severe mistake with sod. It wilts, you water it a bit more. :-)

My next question is in RE: to mowing. Am I right in thinking that the sod should be [b][i]WELL[/i][/b] rooted before a mower goes near it? The last thing I want to do is muck it up by getting over anxious to see that carpeted green.

Well, you don't want to pull it up in the mower deck and shear it apart, no. Fortunately, you're already rooting and it sounds like you could mow as necessary. Sod's so heavy that pulling it up with the minor suction of a mower isn't likely, but I still wouldn't chance it.

• cutlas72
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks morpheuspa for the answers. Today as I type is the first time we've seen the sun in days, and the first w/o rain in 19 straight days.

I think I'm going to let it dry for a few(3-5) days before I give it anymore water, because it is seriously soaked at this point. Then I'll use your plan until I get down to 1" weekly all-at-once. If there's anyone out there more familiar with Zoysia, please don't hesitate to step in with correction or confirmation.

As far as mowing goes, Zoysia grows pretty slow, so I think I can wait awhile without my neighbors complaining too much about it being shaggy.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor