Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_sc

Establishing healthy mycorrhizae

john_in_sc
13 years ago

Hey all,

I am going through the travails of trying to establish TTT Fescue on a new construction...

The land was hardwood forest and then scraped completely bare during construction... All topsoil gone... Then, to add insult to injury -- it was left bare to bake in the sun for quite a while before they tried to seed late last fall (November)

I am working through sorting out PH problems (PH 5.0)... but I am having trouble with my poor Fescue that grows up about 1/2" tall -- looks pretty and dark green.. and then just kinda peters out and stops growing... Not dying, just not growing either.... Sun, Fertilizer, and Water are all present in what should be adequate quantities...

It is so deficient that *Nothing* is growing... I put out 2 lbs of White Clover seed this spring... It did the same thing as the Fescue -- grows up about 1", looks pretty and dark, but just kinda stops growing any taller or larger...

In a previous plant hobby (Orchids) - this is the sort of thing one would might lead one to believe that the required Mycorrhizae for that particular species are not present...

So...

What can I do to get this going? I know there are inoculant products out there... Some people believe they work, some don't. Some people believe in Compost teas and the like... but I don't have any compost to start a compost tea...

Alfalfa pellets? Corn/soybean/cotton meal? Mycorrhizal innoculants? Spreading some seed that is Myco inoculated (Like the new Pennington stuff)? Break the local Deed Restrictions and bring over some of my cousin's Goats?

Thanks

John

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022