Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Is there a way to have updated topics come up top?

rutgers1
16 years ago

In other forums I have participated in, the most recently active thread appears at the top. So, for example, if I go back and find a thread from three weeks ago and add a comment, it comes up to the top to signal to people that the conversation is continuing.

I am the new guy here (love the exchanges!) so I probably shouldn't complain, but if there is a way to make it a bit easier to follow, I would love to know.

Comments (4)

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

The same thing happens here, except that posts that have no replies stay above posts that have replies.

If you click on threads when they're updated, you can also tell by the color of the link, since GW adds a parameter for the number of replies, so the thread appears new when there is a new reply.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funny you should say that. I just came back to the forum and thought that my post wasn't posted because I noticed previous posts listed above it. As you said, those posts didn't have any replies, so for some reason those ones are staying up top. Strange.

There is a lot of great message board programs out there. I wonder why this company is sticking with this one.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

The majority of GardenWeb members like the board the way it is. I, for one, prefer the layout to the more modern boards. This is more open to me. When IVillage purchased GardenWeb almost two years ago, many people practically begged them not to change the format. I can understand it's not what you're used to, especially not being able to edit or delete responses. Please don't give them any ideas LOL. Things get screwed up enough whenever they change servers or make other changes. Ever since they're first change, no one is able to post their name in capital letters anymore. Something else is the field that shows what state you live in. We need that information to answer various questions but can no longer see it, so we end up having to ask before we can answer some posters' questions. And, don't even think about changing your email address. Another thing is my birthdate says I was born in 1904 on my member page. Boy, I'm old. I'm just saying if they try to change the whole format and layout of the board, whether we'll have a board at all may be a very good question. LOL

Threads that have no reply stay on top for everyone to view them and increase the chances the OP will receive at least one reply. Once a response is posted, it moves along as you described. Without a reply, it will remain on top for a while depending on frequency and activity of the forum. Some forums move slowly and those threads stay on top for days or longer. Other forums move so fast those threads begin to move down in an hour or two.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Ever since they're first change
    should have been
    Ever since their first change.

Sorry about that