Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Even distribution of coffee grounds ...

Posted by estreya Southwest Washington (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 13:08

Hello, everyone! I'm very very exited, because i just ordered my first bags of Corn Gluten Meal for my yard. My understanding is that i should wait till August to apply it in order to take advantage of its pre-emergent properties. And wait i shall. However, i'm so excited, i just had to order it now!

My question, though, is about used coffee grounds. What are you folks "in the know" doing to spread them evenly in your lawns? Can wet grounds be put into an ordinary broadcast spreader?

Also, i read that sugar is very good for an organic lawn. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth getting a huge bag of sugar from Costco and spreading it around?

I'm new to all this, as is undoubtedly apparent. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Even distribution of coffee grounds ...

I don't worry about getting the grounds spread too evenly. I just walk around the lawn backward, shaking the bags back and forth as I walk. Some spots get a little more and some spots get a little less. It doesn't make as much difference with something like coffee grounds (not like chemical fertilizers where you can see exactly where they were spread heavier or lighter).

o

It might be best not to excede 1/8" layer of grounds. If the application method leaves hi & low spots then apply just before rain. as for myself, being low tech, I apply by using my hands - this way I can crush the "hockey pucks". Sometimes I mix with 50% compost, that saves a step. I have also used an hand held sifter, but it is no faster. I gave up on using a spreader. I guess a 10'x10' takes about 1 min, and you get to see every weed in the yard!
In the spring I had bare spots, but by selectively using compost & grounds on those areas they have disapeared.

o

• Posted by estreya Southwest Washington (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 0:29

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll use my hands too, and not fuss so much about blending it in evenly.

o

Here's my "low tech" method. Rip open the side of the bag, set it down in the yard, reach hands into bag and fling. Repeat the last three steps until all grounds have been distributed. That's about it.

o

hi estreya,

I mixed coffee ground that I got from starbucks with CGM and CM. I just use my hand to mix them thoroughly. Some coffee ground are so sticky together. But once it's get mixed with CGM/CM, it will be easy to spread using broadcast spreader. However, sometimes, it gets stuck. I just use my hand again to reach the hole and clear it up. :)

I have 6 bags now of coffee ground and I will mix it with SBM.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here